We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

This page provides details of how to apply for a replacement engineer licence if it has been lost, damaged or stolen.


The person applying for a replacement licence must have previously met all the requirements to have held a UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence and/or British Civil Airworthiness Requirements (BCAR) Section L Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Licence.

If the lost UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence and/or BCAR Section L Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Licence is expired, an application for the licence renewal is required to be submitted.

There is further information available on how to renew a UK Part 66 aircraft maintenance licence and/or renew a BCAR section L licence, as applicable.

If the Licence has been stolen, please provide us with details of the crime reference number and the police authority it was reported to.

Please note that your Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Reference or Licence number should be included in your application where possible.

How do I apply?

To apply for a Replacement Licence, you will need to fill in the online application form.

You can save your progress when completing the form and revisit it at a later time by clicking “Save” and then following the on-screen instructions.

Please note that you will be asked for a 'Challenge Keyword' and you should choose a memorable word so that you can retrieve your information.

What do I need to include with my application?

Along with a completed Online Application Form, you will also need to include a copy of your passport or photo driving licence, certified by your Quality Manager or most senior person within the organisation you are working for. This is required if you want the replacement licence to be sent to a different address to the permanent address that we already hold for you.

How long is it valid for?

The replacement UK Part 66/BCAR Section L Licence is valid for 5 years from the original date of issue.



The fee is £57.00.

An additional fee will be payable if you wish your documents to be returned by secure courier.

The current Scheme of Charges (Personnel Licensing) provides further information.

Same day services

The same day, special and customised delivery charges are available at an additional cost. This service is on request, which should be made at the time of initial application. Documents are worked to a same day turnaround from receipt of customer request by 11:00 to completion of the processing of the application by 16:30 on the same working day. The customer will be able to collect the documents by 16:30 on the same day or the documents shall be sent by Royal Mail special delivery, where this is included in the service.

Close Costs

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

We endeavour to process applications in 10 working days from date of receipt.

Please note that Incomplete applications are not subject to the 10 working day turnaround time until all application requirements are met.

Close How long will it take for my application to be processed?

What happens next?

  • A desk based assessment from an Engineering Licensing Assistant or Officer.
  • Following an acceptable assessment, your licensing application will be processed signed and despatched.
  • We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending whilst any additional requirements are met.
  • An assessment and refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application. This will also be applied if you choose to cancel your application.
Close What happens next?