We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

This page provides information to UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence holders wishing to remove limitations from a type rating(s) on their existing licence.


You must hold a current and valid Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence with the relevant unrestricted Basic Category / Sub-Category on your licence.

If your experience has been gained outside a Part 145 or Part-CAO Approved Maintenance Organisation, you will be unable to proceed with your application at the present time. If you require more information or guidance on what to do next, please email eldweb@caa.co.uk.

You must ensure the relevant Basic Category/Sub-Category does not hold any of the limitations that you wish to be removed from aircraft type rating(s)applied for. You are unable to lift any limitations from aircraft type rating(s) if the Basic Category/Sub-Category holds the same limitations.

If the aircraft type requires type training, evidence of completing the appropriately approved Part 147 course (the Certificate of Recognition) will be required which can cover both theoretical and practical elements.

Please note the EU/EASA Certificates of Recognition (CofR) may continue to be acceptable for inclusion on an UK Part-66 licence dependant on the date of issue:

  • Any EASA Certificate of Recognition issued by an EU Part 147 MTOA (with a Form 11 dated during the two-year saving legislation period) - will be acceptable in support of UK Part 66 Licence. The course start date cannot exceed more than three years at the time of applying for the type rating.
  • Any EASA Certificate of recognition issued by an EU Part 147 MTOA dated after 01 January 2023 will not be acceptable in support of a UK Part 66 Licence.

If the aircraft type requires type examination, we can assess the experience submitted without evidence of any course being completed.

You must provide the appropriate amount of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft in compliance with UK AMC 66.A.30(e) in a form and manner acceptable to the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), signed by the appropriate signatory.

An acceptable format for demonstration of experience can be any of the following:

  • Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Logbook (CAP741)
  • Type Rating Record of Experience (SRG1007)
  • Or any other format agreed with the UK CAA

If the practical element is not completed at an approved Part 147 training organisation or completed at an approved UK Part 145 maintenance organisation, then the practical experience should be gained within an approved EASA Part 145 maintenance organisation which can be considered for the removal of limitations from type rating(s) applied for.

The recommendation document will need to be completed by a Quality Manager or the immediate senior person within the Quality Department of your current employer, or the organisation where the experience is gained.

Please note if you are applying for a change of name and/or nationality you will be required to supply evidence in support of your request, for example, change of name deed poll/marriage certificate/valid passport.


The current fee for this service to lift the limitations from any Type Rating(s) is £67.00 per application.

If you are also applying at the same time to lift any limitations from a basic category / sub-category there is no further fee required.

The removal of limitations from aircraft Type Ratings also incur a Rolling Renewal fee. To calculate this fee you will need to have the expiry date of your current Licence to hand when completing the online application form. The expiry date is normally found on page 6 of 8 of your current Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence, depending on the size of your Licence.

If you are applying for any other additional services the appropriate fee will also apply.

An additional fee will be payable if you wish your documents to be returned by secure courier.

The current Scheme of Charges (Personnel licensing) provides further information.

Applications and documents posted from outside the UK

When submitting applications or documentation via post/courier to the UK please ensure that you complete the import declaration on any package in the correct manner.

Please ensure that you enter the “Value” of the package content as zero/nil. Otherwise, this will generate import duties in the UK which will be re-charged to you.

While there is a fee for the CAA application process, this does not represent an importation value of the package content. Therefore, the application fee should not be stated on the import declaration form that a candidate completes when posting supporting documents to CAA UK.

Same day services

Same day, special delivery and other customised services are available at an additional cost. This service is on request, which should be made at the time of initial application. Documents are worked to a same day turnaround from receipt of customer request by 11:00 to completion of the processing of the application by 16:30 on the same working day. The customer will be able to collect the documents by 16:30 on the same day or the documents shall be sent by Royal Mail special delivery, where this is included in the service.

How long is it valid for?

The UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.

What to include with your application

  • Application for Initial Issue, Amendment or Renewal of an Engineer Licence.
  • Certified true copy of your valid passport, EAA/EU National Identity Card or full Photographic Driving Licence certified by your Quality Manager.
  • For existing licence holders your original Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance licence will need to be submitted with any application for amendment or renewal of an engineer's licence.
  • Certified true copies of the appropriate Exam Certificates completed for the removal of limitations, certified by your Quality Manager.
  • Certified true copies of the logbook/worksheets showing the evidence of the practical maintenance experience gained, certified by your Quality Manager.
  • The Recommendation attachment ensuring that it has been completed by your Quality Manager in support of your application.
  • The recommendation can also be completed by: Part 145/147, FAR 145, CAMO, CAO, UK Part 66 Engineer licence holder.
  • If applying for change of name and or nationality a certified true copy by your Quality Manager of the supporting document, for example, your valid passport/change of name deed poll/marriage certificate.

Please note the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has the right to request the return of the original Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence at any point of your application.
From 28 September 2012, where practical experience is gained outside of a Part-145 or Part-M approved maintenance organisation, the applicant is required to submit confirmation from the National Authority responsible for the maintenance organisation concerned, that the organisation is approved under the national regulation for the maintenance activities stated and that the signatory in Form 19 section 07 is a member of that maintenance organisation.

Certified true copies of documents

Postholders of a Part 145/147/MG/CAMO/CAO Organisation or another Part-66 licence holder can act as certifiers for all documents.

Postholders of a Part 145/147/MG/CAMO/CAO Organisation or another Part-66 licence holder or Official bodies such as the Post Office or solicitors who provide this service, can act as certifiers for ID Documents (Passport or full UK driving licence).

Instructions for the certifier of your ID Documents are as follows:

  • Insert on the copy to be enclosed with the application: 'I have seen the original document and I certify that this is a complete and accurate copy of the original'.
  • Insert signature and date.
  • Certifiers name must be printed in block capitals.
  • Must include position or capacity, for example, Head of a Part 145/147 Organisation.
Close What to include with your application

How do I apply?

Once all of the requirements have been met, please complete:

  • SRG 1014 (if applying using a paper form)
  • Online application

    The application, supporting documents and original licence should be posted to:

    Civil Aviation Authority
    Aviation House
    Licensing Assessment Team
    Beehive Ring Road
    West Sussex
    RH6 0YR
Close How do I apply?

What happens next?

  • The assessment of your application is completed by a Licensing Officer and technical standards surveyor.
  • Following an acceptable assessment the Licence is then processed, signed and dispatched to the individual.
  • We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending for 30 working days awaiting any additional documentation to be submitted.
  • A refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application. This will also be applied if you choose to cancel your application.
Close What happens next?