We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

This page provides guidance for organisations or individuals that want to apply for a Direct Course Approval (DCA) for a UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence (AML), as per UK 66.B.130.

Anyone wanting to apply should do so by submitting an application and supporting documentation as set out on this page. Certificates issued from a UK DCA are only valid for UK Aircraft Maintenance Licence Holders.

Direct Course Approval is not applicable to UK Part 147 Organisations as these organisations can add the required course to their existing scope by submitting an application. If you already hold a UK Part 147 approval, please submit a change to your existing approval.

How do I apply?

Complete the Part 66 Direct Course Approval (DCA) application form (SRG1013) and submit with the supporting documents using the Application Form Submission Service portal at the end of the form.

Close How do I apply?

How much does it cost?

There is a charge payable for a UK Part 66 Direct Course Approval (DCA) application. The cost varies depending on the aircraft type for which the DCA is required (whether the aircraft is classified as a complex motor-powered aircraft or not), and whether the DCA is for practical training only.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Scheme of Charges Personnel Licensing offers further guidance.

In the event of a discrepancy between the information here and the Official Record Series 5, CAA Scheme of Charges Personnel Licensing), the Scheme of Charges takes precedence.

Close How much does it cost?

What do I need to send with my application?

You will need to send the following information to apply for a UK Direct Course Approval for Part 66:

  • A completed application form submitted by an Authorised Representative of the Company, for example, the Accountable Manager/Quality Manager or an Individual who is responsible for training.
  • A copy of the proposed training material (course notes).
  • A copy of the proposed examination questions (to ensure compliance with UK Part 66).
  • Details of the approved Instructor (Copy of current UK Part 145 Authorisation and/or UK Part 66 Licence).
  • A copy of the proposed Training Needs Analysis (TNA).
Close What do I need to send with my application?

What else do I need to know?

UK Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014 and the associated Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC) and Guidance Material (GM).

Aircraft ratings should be listed as per UK Part 66 Type Rating List (SRG1782). At this time the Part 66 listing does not include Sailplanes, Powered Sailplanes or Balloons. In this case use the aircraft type designation specified on the Part 21 aircraft Type Certificate Data Sheet.

Close What else do I need to know?

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

If the application team receive your application and all elements are present and correct, a Surveyor will be allocated and timescales discussed at that point.

Close How long will it take for my application to be processed?

What happens next?

Once the application is received, it will be reviewed by the apply team to ensure all the supporting documentation is present and then it will be assigned to an Airworthiness Surveyor for review.

Close What happens next?

How long is it valid for?

Once granted, a UK Part 66 Direct Course Approval (DCA) is valid for a period of 12 months (one year) from date of approval.

If an organisation or individual requires a further DCA, a further application should be submitted.

This approval is raised by the Airworthiness team and will be subject to Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) oversight by an assigned Surveyor.

Close How long is it valid for?