This page provides information to UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence holders wishing to remove limitations from a basic category or sub-category of their existing licence.
You must hold an existing UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence and have met the full requirements of the UK conversion basic examination standards, and the appropriate experience requirement.
You must have met the requirements in accordance with UK 66.A.50(b).
The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) reserves the right to ask any applicant to provide the original documents to support any application for the initial issue, renewal or change to a UK Part 66 licence.
The Part 66 Licence is not a progressive Licence and therefore applications received for the removal of limitations from a Category/Sub- Category must have met the requirements to remove all the limitations endorsed on their Licence as you are unable to lift limitations singularly.
You must complete the relevant modules applicable to the limitations on the Basic Category/Sub-Category. For information on the modules required you will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part modules can be completed within an organisation appropriately approved to conduct the UK CAA conversion exams. If the examinations are being conducted within a Part 147 organisation not approved by the UK CAA, you will be required to sit full modules. We cannot consider part modules.
You will be required to demonstrate a minimum of 6 months relevant practical maintenance experience appropriate to the limitations you are removing from the Category / Sub-Category. This can be demonstrated in the form of a logbook and / or worksheets ensuring the tasks have been signed off by the appropriate signatory.
The recommendation document will need to be completed by a Quality Manager or the immediate senior person within the Quality Department of your current employer, or the organisation where the experience is gained.
Please note if you are applying for a change of name and or nationality you will be required to supply evidence in support of your request, for example, change of name deed poll/marriage certificate/valid passport.
How do I apply?
Once all of the requirements have been met, please complete:
- SRG 1014 (if applying using a paper form)
- Online application
The application, supporting documents and original licence should be posted to:
Civil Aviation Authority
Licensing Assessment Team
Beehive Ring Road
What do I need to include with my application?
- Application for Initial Issue, Amendment or Renewal of an Engineer Licence.
- Certified true copy of your valid passport, EAA/EU National Identity Card or full Photographic Driving Licence certified by your Quality Manager.
- For existing licence holders your original UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance licence will need to be submitted with any application for amendment or renewal of an engineer's licence.
- Certified true copies of the appropriate Exam Certificates completed for the removal of limitations, certified by your Quality Manager.
- Certified true copies of the logbook/worksheets showing the evidence of the practical maintenance experience gained, certified by your Quality Manager.
- The Recommendation attachment ensuring that it has been completed by your Quality Manager in support of your application.
- If applying for change of name and or nationality a certified true copy by your Quality Manager of the supporting document, for example, your valid passport/change of name deed poll/marriage certificate.
Please note the CAA has the right to request the return of the original UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence at any point of your application.
How long is it valid for?
The UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.
Same day services
Same day, special and customised delivery charges are available at an additional cost. This service is on request, which should be made at the time of initial application. Documents are worked to a same day turnaround from receipt of customer request by 11:00 to completion of the processing of the application by 16:30 on the same working day. The customer will be able to collect the documents by 16:30 on the same day or the documents shall be sent by Royal Mail special delivery, where this is included in the service.
- The assessment of your application is completed by a Licensing Officer and technical standards surveyor.
- Following an acceptable assessment the Licence is then processed, signed and dispatched to the individual.
- We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending for 30 working days awaiting any additional documentation to be submitted.
- A refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application. This will also be applied if you choose to cancel your application.