Please note that, in the event of UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of licences and certificates ceasing, some CAA website content and application forms may continue to carry the EASA logo or reference the EU or EASA rather than the UK CAA in the short term.
These will be updated in due course following the outcome of the transition period negotiations on the long-term aviation relationship between the UK and the EU. In the meantime, the guidance provided and the application forms accessed via the CAA website portal will continue to be valid
You are only able to apply to renew your aircraft maintenance Licence 60 days prior to the expiry date.
You are required to show six months within the last 24 months of involvement in aircraft maintenance e.g. as a quality manager, quality engineer, aeronautical engineering instructor or as a flight engineer, therefore the experience can be gained on EASA or Annex II aircraft.
The recommendation will need to be completed by a person in an Authoritative position, other than the Licence Holder.
You will not be able to apply for an Initial issue or Amendment to the BCAR Section L Licence using the online form.
If you are also renewing your EASA Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence, you will be required to apply separately using the Application for Initial Issue, Amendment or Renewal of an Engineer Licence (Form 19).
NB: If you are applying for a change of name and or nationality you will be required to supply evidence in support of your request, e.g. change of name deed poll/marriage certificate/valid passport.
How much does it cost?
- If you only hold a BCAR Section L Licence, £350.00 to renew your licence for 5 years.
An additional fee will be payable if you wish your documents to be returned by secure courier.
Full details are available in the If you wish to refer to the current scheme of charges.
How long will it take for my application to be processed?
- We endeavour to process applications in 10 working days from date of receipt.
- Incomplete applications are not subject to the 10 working day turnaround time until all application requirements are met.
How long is it valid for?
- The BCAR Section L Licence is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.
Same day services
Same day, special delivery and other customised services are available at an additional cost. This service is on request, which should be made at the time of initial application. Documents are worked to a same day turnaround from receipt of customer request by 11:00 to completion of the processing of the application by 16:30 on the same working day. The customer will be able to collect the documents by 16:30 on the same day or the documents shall be sent by Royal Mail special delivery, where this is included in the service.
To ensure you complete your application correctly, please refer to the following associated rules, regulations and forms to help you with your application:
- Application for Initial Issue, Amendment or Renewal of an Engineer Licence (Form 19)
- The recommendation attachment, this attachment requires to be signed off by the appropriate person in an Authoritative position who can support the evidence completed on the Engineering Application (Form 19)
- If applying for change of name and or nationality a true copy of the supporting document certified by your Quality Manager e.g. your valid passport/change of name deed poll/marriage certificate.
Once all of the requirements have been met, please complete:
- The assessment of your application is completed by a Licensing Officer and technical standards surveyor.
- Following an acceptable assessment the Licence is then processed, signed and dispatched to the individual.
- We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending for 30 working days awaiting any additional documentation to be submitted.
- A refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application. This will also be applied if you choose to cancel your application.
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.