This page provides guidance on the requirements and application process for the renewal of a British Civil Airworthiness Requirements (BCAR), Section L Aircraft Maintenance Engineer licence (AMEL).
You are only able to apply to renew your aircraft maintenance Licence 60 days prior to the expiry date.
You are required to show six months within the last 24 months of involvement in aircraft maintenance, for example, as a quality manager, quality engineer, aeronautical engineering instructor or as a flight engineer, therefore the experience can be gained on both Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft.
For information, “Part 21 aircraft” are those aircraft that are included in the scope of UK Regulation (EU) 2018/1139. “Non-Part 21 aircraft” are aircraft that fall within the categories set out in Article 2, paragraph 3(a) and Annex I of UK Regulation (EU) 2018/1139.
Non-Part 21 aircraft are subject to regulation under the UK Air Navigation Order.
The recommendation will need to be completed by a person in an Authoritative position, other than the Licence Holder.
If you are also renewing your UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence, you will be required to apply separately using the Application for Initial Issue, Amendment or Renewal of an Engineer Licence (Application for Initial/Amendment/Renewal of Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence (AML)).
Please note: If you are applying for a change of name and or nationality you will be required to supply evidence in support of your request, for example, change of name deed poll/marriage certificate/valid passport.
Once all of the requirements have been met, please complete:
The following information is guidance on the cost for renewing a BCAR section L licence:
- If you only hold a BCAR Section L Licence, £380.00 to renew your licence for 5 years.
An additional fee will be payable if you wish your documents to be returned by secure courier.
In the event of a discrepancy between the information here and the Official Record Series 5, Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Scheme of Charges takes precedence.
Same day services
Same day, special delivery and customised services are available at an additional cost. This service is on request, which should be made at the time of initial application. Documents are worked to a same day turnaround from receipt of customer request by 11:00 to completion of the processing of the application by 16:30 on the same working day. The customer will be able to collect the documents by 16:30 on the same day or the documents shall be sent by Royal Mail special delivery, where this is included in the service.
The following information needs to be sent with your application:
- Application for Renewal of a BCAR Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence (Form SRG1011 or online application).
- If applicable, the Application for Initial Issue, Amendment or Renewal of a UK Part 66 Engineer Licence (Form SRG1014 or online application).
- The recommendation attachment, this attachment requires to be signed off by the appropriate person in an Authoritative position who can support the evidence completed on the Engineering Application (online application).
- If applying for change of name and or nationality a true copy of the supporting document certified by your Quality Manager, for example, your valid passport/change of name deed poll/marriage certificate.
To ensure you complete your application correctly, please refer to the following associated rules, regulations and forms to help you with your application:
The below information offers guidance for how long it will take for your application to be processed:
- We endeavour to process applications in 10 working days from date of receipt.
- Incomplete applications are not subject to the 10 working day turnaround time until all application requirements are met.
The below information explains what will happen to your application next:
- The assessment of your application is completed by a Licensing Officer and technical standards surveyor.
- Following an acceptable assessment the Licence is then processed, signed and dispatched to the individual.
- We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending for 30 working days awaiting any additional documentation to be submitted.
- A refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application. This will also be applied if you choose to cancel your application.