• The National Private Pilot Licence (NPPL) is available for microlights and other non-EASA aircraft:

    • vintage aircraft
    • permit-to-fly aircraft
    • kit-built aircraft

    The NPPL can only be used on UK-registered aircraft inside UK airspace, unless you have an agreement with the aviation authorities in another country which will allow you to fly in that country's airspace.

    You can add class ratings to the NPPL to allow you to fly microlights, self-launching motorgliders (SLMGs) and simple single-engine aeroplanes (SSEAs).

    Your NPPL does not require a language proficiency test, however to operate radio telephony equipment you must hold a Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence.

    Full details of requirements for the NPPL are available in the CAA publication CAP 804, Part I, Section 5.