We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings below, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

Balloon and airship pilots require either a Class 2 medical certificate or a Pilot Medical Declaration (as required for a National Private Pilot's Licence) which is based on the DVLA medical standards.

  • The initial Class 2 medical examination can be carried out by any certificated AME.
  • The examination for a Class 2 medical will take about one hour and the AME is responsible for setting the fee.

For more information on these options see medical requirements for private pilots.

Find an AME

Provide page feedback

Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.