• Training for licences or ratings

    There are a number of training requirements that applicants must complete relating to the type of licence or rating being applied for. They include elements of the following:

    • Theoretical knowledge exams
    • Skill tests
    • Flight instruction

    General information on what is included in these requirements can be found in this section. You will find more detailed information on the requirements for each aircraft and licence type in the professional licences and general aviation licences sections. For details of the national licence requirements, refer to the UK national licences pages.

    Training organisations

    To apply for a licence, applicants must complete a training course with a training organisation. Currently, there are two types: Approved Training Organisations (ATOs) and Registered Training Facilities (RTFs). Part FCL only refers to ATOs but at the moment RTFs are permitted to conduct training for some EASA licences, including the LAPL and the PPL.

    Download a list of ATOs, published as Standards Document 31

    Download a list of RTFs, published as Standards Document 30

    Requirements for flying solo

    During your training course you will be required to complete solo flights. Students cannot fly solo unless authorised to do so and under the supervision of a flight instructor.

    The minimum age to fly different aircraft is:

    Aeroplane 16
    Helicopter 16
    Airship 16
    Sailplane 14
    Balloon 14

    Students must carry evidence of their instructor’s authorisation when on solo cross-country flights.

  • Using your flying experience to apply for a different licence

    Unless it says otherwise on the page setting out the specific requirements for the licence you want, then for each licence or rating application you will need to complete a number of flying hours, and flight time for a licence application must be flown in the same aircraft category.

    Unless it says otherwise on the page setting out the specific requirements for an individual licence, if you hold a pilot’s licence then all the hours you fly while acting as co-pilot or pilot in command under supervision (PICUS) can be credited towards the total flight time needed for a higher grade of pilot’s licence.

    For the specific requirements, refer to the relevant section for the licence you are applying for:

  • Related Information

    All relevant European regulations such as Part- ARO, ORO, CAT, SPA, NCC, NCO, MED are available on the link shown below.

    For Flight Crew Regulations please refer to the consolidated version Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011.

    For other regulations such as Part-ORO, Part-ORA, please check the Air Operations regulations.