• EU exit

    Please note that, in the event of UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of licences and certificates ceasing, some CAA website content and application forms may continue to carry the EASA logo or reference the EU or EASA rather than the UK CAA in the short term.  These will be updated in due course following the outcome of the transition period negotiations on the long-term aviation relationship between the UK and the EU.  In the meantime, the guidance provided and the application forms accessed via the CAA website portal will continue to be valid.

  • Re-issue of FAA Certificates for UK licences issued after 17 September 2012

    Following the introduction of harmonized European pilot licences, pilots holding a UK issued EASA licence, who also hold an ‘FAA Certificate’ allowing them to fly in the United States, must have the document reissued by the FAA to retain its validity. This is an FAA requirement, following format changes to European licences.

    This arrangement avoids the need for pilots to travel to the US for verification of identity, as the FAA has confirmed that pilots can have the certificate reissued outside the United States. Pilots should contact the UK CAA's licensing service to arrange the re-issue.

    Under normal circumstances, pilots with an FAA Certificate would have been required to travel to an FAA Flight Standards District Office in the United States to comply with identification requirements. The CAA recognizes the cost and inconvenience this will cause to pilots and therefore, in conjunction with the FAA’s Flight Standards Service, has decided to grant a deviation from this particular requirement in certain instances.

    This process only applies to pilots who:

    • hold a UK issued National or EASA licence,
    • live outside the United States
    • currently hold FAA pilot Certificates that were issued on the basis of a UK licence and are annotated with the following remark: “Issued on the basis of and valid only when accompanied by United Kingdom pilot licence number(s)...”

    If you currently have an application with us for a UK/JAR conversion and hold a FAA airman certificate showing your UK licence number which does not follow the standard format GBR. FCL.PP.123456.A you need to inform us immediately at fclweb@caa.co.uk with your full name, date of birth and UK CAA reference number. It is your responsibility to ensure that your UK issued licence is issued in sufficient time so that you can submit your application and documentation for the 61.75 verification.

    The UK CAA must be in receipt of the pilot’s 61.75 application and relevant information by 14 September 2018 in order to process the request for the FAA. Should the application be incomplete or incorrect, this will delay the processing time and reissue of the FAA certificate.

    Should the deadline be missed, pilots holding FAA certificates with the previous UK licence number will be required to travel to an FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) in the United States to comply with the FAA foreign verification requirements. The UK CAA will not be able to process any requests on behalf of the pilot and will stop providing this service at our Gatwick public counter. All requests will have to be handled directly by the FAA offices in the United States.

    Pilots going to the Sywell LAA Rally (31 August - 2 September) can bring their completed application form SRG2110 together with all documentation to the UK CAA stand.

    Please bring originals and sufficient photocopies as there are no photocopying facilities.

    Further guidance is available on the FAA website.

    The FAA will only reissue the airman certificate using this process until 8 October. 

    The FAA has instructed the UK CAA that personal identity must be verified in person.

    To do this, pilots must visit the Gatwick over-the-counter service by visiting our office at:

    Aviation House
    South Area Gatwick Airport
    West Sussex RH6 0YR

    The Gatwick counter is open from 08.30 – 16.30 between Monday and Friday.

    What to bring

    • A completed form SRG 2110
    • Your FAR 61.75 airmen certificate
    • Official photographic ID bearing your signature (EU driving licence or passport)
    • A utility bill, bank statement or council tax bill with your address on it

    There will be a fee of £46 to pay.

    What happens next

    The CAA will then send the relevant paperwork to the FAA licensing centre in Oklahoma City.

    The FAA in USA will then issue a new FAA certificate directly to the pilot.


    This process will not be available if:

    • the current FAA airmen certificate was not issued on the basis of a UK issued licence, meaning that there is no remark annotated on the back of your FAA airman certificate.
    • the current FAA airmen certificate was initially issued on the basis of another EASA member state licence other than the UK.
      • e.g. the pilot changed the state of licence from France to the UK. If the FAA airman certificate has remarks related to the French licence the FAR61.75 verification is not possible.
    • pilots want to add a new level of licence (example PPL to CPL) or ratings to their existing FAA airman certificate.
    • the pilot is a resident in the USA
    • Your FAA airmen certificate has been lost or stolen

    Pilots will be refused the FAR61.75 if the old UK licence number quoted does not match the UK licence number that is held on the FAA system. In these cases please contact the UK CAA.

    If any of the exceptions above apply, please follow the standard licence verification process.

    For more information please contact us on fclweb@caa.co.uk or email the FAA on foreign-verification@faa.gov.

    Guidance from the FAA