We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.


You must hold a current EU issued Part 66 Licence and never held a UK issued Part Licence in the past to use this application process.

If you have held a UK issued Part 66 licence in the past (e.g. Transferred to another EU Authority) please follow the guidance on how to apply for UK Part-66 licence reactivation.

You will be required to hold a current EU issued Part 66 licence which has not been suspended or enforcement action taking place. This application process will allow you apply for UK issued Part 66 Licence post the UK EU exit date where an individual can now hold a UK and EU issued licence concurrently.

How much does it cost?

  • £127.00 for issue of a UK Part 66 licence based on EU Licence.

If you are applying for any other additional services, the appropriate fee will also apply. (e.g. adding an aircraft type rating not held on the EU licence)

An additional fee will be payable if you wish your documents to be returned by secure courier.

Full details are available in the CAA Scheme of Charges (Personnel licensing).

Applications and documents posted from outside the European Union

When submitting applications or documentation via post/courier to the UK please ensure that you complete the import declaration on any package in the correct manner.

Please ensure that you enter the value of the package content as zero/nil. Otherwise this will generate import duties in the UK which will be re-charged to you.

While there is a fee for the CAA application process, this does not represent an importation value of the package content. Therefore the application fee should not be stated on the import declaration form that a candidate completes when posting supporting documents to CAA UK.

Validity period

  • A UK issued Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence will be valid for 5 years.

Guidance for your application

To ensure you complete your application correctly, please refer to the following associated rules, regulations and forms to help you with your application should this be required to add category, rating or renew your UK AML when applying for a reactivation:

To ensure timely processing it is advised that the applicant contacts their EU competent authority where their licence was issued to ensure the release of their records when requested by the CAA as part of the verification process.

Certified true copies of documents

The following people can act as certifiers for all documents:

  • Postholders of a Part 145/147/MF/MG/CAMO/CAO Organisation or another Part-66 licence holder

The following people can act as 'certifiers' for ID Documents (Passport or full UK driving licence):

  • Postholders of a Part 145/147/MF/MG/CAMO/CAO Organisation or another Part-66 licence holder
  • official bodies such as the post office or solicitors who provide this service.

Instructions for the certifier of your ID document are as follows:

  • Insert on the copy to be enclosed with the application: 'I have seen the original document and I certify that this is a complete and accurate copy of the original'.
  • Insert signature and date
  • Certifier’s name must be printed in block capitals
  • Must include position or capacity, e.g. Head of a Part 145/147 Organisation.

What to include with your application

  • Application for a UK Issued Part 66 Licence (SRG 1014EU)
  • Application for the issue of UK Part-66 Licence (SRG 1014) if additional services are required
  • Certified true copy of your valid passport certified by an appropriate person.
  • Certified true copies or originals of the appropriate EU issued Part 66 Licence.

How to apply

Once all of the requirements have been met, please complete:

What happens next

  • Licence records will be requested by the CAA on your behalf from the EU Licensing Authority under GDPR right of access.
  • The assessment of your application is completed by a licensing officer and technical standards surveyor
  • Following an acceptable assessment; the Licence is then processed, signed and dispatched to the individual
  • We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending for 30 working days awaiting any additional documentation to be submitted
  • A refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application. This will also be applied if you choose to cancel your application.

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. Shaping up to be a busy 2022 for UK CAA’s General Aviation Unit
  2. CAA launches consultation on environmental effects of first UK space launch from Cornwall
  3. Farnborough 2022: Sir Stephen Hillier - Where next for aviation and aerospace

View all latest news