We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

Holding a type rating allows you to act as pilot on the type of helicopter specified in the rating.

Please note - If you are the holder of an existing UK issued JAR Flight Crew licence or UK PPL(H), CPL(H) or ATPL(HG) which has not already been converted to a Part-FCL licence, then this licensing action will result in the compulsory conversion of your existing licence to a Part-FCL licence.

This will require an additional application form/information will have to be submitted, and additional requirements may have to be met. As such, please refer to the conversion information available on our website in addition to the information on this page.


You must:

  • Have a current and valid helicopter licence,
  • An expired helicopter type rating applicable to the type being renewed,
  • You must take refresher training at an ATO (approved under Part-ORA) when necessary to reach the level of proficiency necessary to safely operate the relevant type of helicopter,
  • Pass a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to Part-FCL.

Please ensure that your examiner has met the designation of examiner for skills test for initial issue of Licences, ratings and certificates and Briefing of Non UK examiners requirements, as detailed in information notice IN 2016/003 and IN 2016/004, if applicable.

  • Your medical records must be held by the UK CAA and you must hold a current and valid PART MED medical certificate appropriate to the level of licence held.
  • A current and valid Language Proficiency level acceptable to the UK CAA.

Please refer to CAP 804 section 4, Part H, subpart 2.

Validity period

The rating is valid for 1 year from the date when you pass the skills test.

How to apply

If your licence has been signed up in the field, there is no need to make an application. However, you must ensure that your examiner emails the paperwork to licenceapplications@caa.co.uk, so this can be stored on your file. 

If your licence was not endorsed by your examiner, or the rating is on the back of your licence, you need to submit an application to the CAA.

Once all of the renewal requirements above have been met, please complete and submit online form

You will need to upload the following supporting evidence:

  • Examiner report form SRG2138
  • A copy of your Examiner's licence, medical and authorisation (only if you used a non-UK examiner for the skills test)
  • A copy of the EASA simulator approval certificate (only if the Simulator used is not approved by the UK CAA)
  • Course Completion Certificate or form SRG1107
  • A copy of the EASA ATO Approval Certificate (if the course was completed with a non-UK ATO)
  • A certified copy of your licence

Guidance on documentation

For questions relating to paperwork, such as how to obtain certified copies of documents, please refer to guidance on documentation.


See our licence fees and costs section.

Please note additional fees will apply if your licence needs to be converted as part of this application. The conversion process will also require ratings on a PART FCL licence to be checked for validity.

An additional fee applies if you want your documents to be returned by secure courier. More information about our secure courier service.

Associated Rules, Regulations and Forms

What to expect

A desk based assessment from a Flight Crew Licensing Officer or Assistant. Following an acceptable assessment your licence will be processed signed and despatched. We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending whilst the additional requirements are met.

Contact us

Email: fclweb@caa.co.uk

Phone: 0330 022 1972 (Mon - Fri 08:30 - 16:30)

Shared Service Centre
Civil Aviation Authority
Aviation House
Beehive Ring Road
West Sussex

Related Information


All relevant European regulations such as Part- ARO, ORO, CAT, SPA, NCC, NCO, MED are available on the link shown below.

For Flight Crew Regulations please refer to the consolidated version Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011.

For other regulations such as Part-ORO, Part-ORA, please check the Air Operations regulations.

Close Regulations