• Apply online

    You can apply for a LAPL (A) and (H) or a PPL (A) or (H) licence using our online application form. For other licences (including the SPL and BPL), please use our paper-based application route. You can also make a paper-based application for a LAPL (A) or (H) or a PPL (A) or (H).

    Launch the online form

  • How to get copies of your documents certified

    You must include digital copies of documents to support your online application.

    How to attach your documents

    You will be able to attach digital copies of documents to the online form after you have clicked “Submit” on the last page of the form.

    Guidance on uploading digital copies of documents

    What to include with your form

    For any application, you will need to scan in and attach the following documents to the online form:

    For some types of application, you may have to include other documents, as set out below.

    What to have ready

    You will also need to enter information about yourself, such as how many hours you have flown a specific aircraft. If you hold any of the following documents, you will find it helpful to have them with you when start to complete the form:

    • your personal ID document
    • course completion certificate(s) for training necessary to your application
    • examiner’s report form for your skill test(s)
    • existing pilot licence(s)
    • existing logbook(s)
    • medical certificate
    • language proficiency qualification

    Guidance on documentation


    You can pay the fee for your licence application using either the World Pay system or by bank transfer. If you want to use the World Pay system, please have your bank debit or credit card ready.

    If you are paying in a currency other than Pounds Sterling (£), please ensure the CAA receives the amount specified in Sterling, once any payment fees have been subtracted and exchange rates taken into account.

    Licence fees and costs

    EASA licence holders

    If you hold an EASA/Part-FCL or JAR licence issued by an EASA member state other than the UK, you must send us a certified copy of your EASA or JAR licence with your application. This is so that we can contact the organisation that issued your licence and arrange for your licence to be transferred to the UK CAA. All EASA licences you hold must be issued by only 1 EASA member state.

    If you have trained at an ATO not approved by the CAA

    If you completed your training at an ATO that was

    • directly approved by EASA rather than by the CAA, or
    • approved by the national aviation authority of an EASA member state other than the UK

    then you will also need to provide a certified copy of the ATO’s approval certificate. Your ATO will be able to provide this on request.

    Skill tests or proficiency checks conducted by non-UK EASA-approved examiners

    If the examiner for your skill test was approved by an EASA member state other than the UK, you will need to provide additional documents to support your application. These must be sent by post to the CAA, so you may wish to consider using our paper-based application route. The additional documents required are certified copies of the following:

    • Your skill test examiner’s licence and examiner authorisation certificate
    • An email showing test notification has been authorised by the UK CAA
    • The relevant simulator approval certificate if you have used a simulator

    Additional documentation for applications based on UK military service

    If you are applying for a licence under the Military Accreditation Scheme (MAS), you will also need to include

    • a completed form SRG 2133
    • copies of the following logbook pages:
      • the Special Qualifications page
      • the last few pages of your military flying

    The copies of the logbook pages must be stamped and certified by either your commanding officer or the head of training at the ATO where any additional training for your application has taken place.

    You also need to state accurately on the online form how many hours you have flown as PIC/P1Capt or PICUS/1st Pilot non-Capt.

    Instrument ratings

    If your application for initial issue, renewal or revalidation requires instrument flight hours, we will also need a certified copy of your licence’s Instrument Ratings page.

    Converting from a third-country ICAO-compliant licence

    If you are applying for an EASA pilot licence on the basis of already holding a third-country ICAO-compliant licence, you will need to include the following additional documentation with your form:

    • a certified copy of your current and valid third country ICAO licence
    • original logbooks, or certified copies, showing that you have met the flying experience requirements for the licence or rating you are applying for and that you are in current flying practice
    • a certified copy of your current and valid third-country medical certificate (the one that validates your third-country licence)
    • form SRG2142

    If your ICAO licence does not show the validity dates of the ratings, please submit certified copies of logbook pages showing the validity and test dates.

  • Related Information

    All relevant European regulations such as Part- ARO, ORO, CAT, SPA, NCC, NCO, MED are available on the link shown below.

    For Flight Crew Regulations please refer to the consolidated version Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011.

    For other regulations such as Part-ORO, Part-ORA, please check the Air Operations regulations.