• EU exit

    Please note that, in the event of UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of licences and certificates ceasing, some CAA website content and application forms may continue to carry the EASA logo or reference the EU or EASA rather than the UK CAA in the short term. 

    These will be updated in due course following the outcome of the transition period negotiations on the long-term aviation relationship between the UK and the EU.  In the meantime, the guidance provided and the application forms accessed via the CAA website portal will continue to be valid

  • Who needs a Radio Operator's Certificate of Competence (ROCC)?

    Radio operators providing:

    • An air-ground communication service (AGCS)
    • A service to aircraft or parachutists within parachute drop zones
    • Clearances as part of the Clearance Delivery Officer (CDO) task

    Who else needs to hold a ROCC?

    • An offshore radio operator
    • Helideck Landing Officer (HLO)
    • Helideck assistants
    • Emergency Response and Rescue Vessel (ERRV) crew
    • Anyone providing an Offshore Communication Service within UK Offshore waters


    You can apply for a Radio Operator’s Certificate of Competence if you:

    • Are 18 years of age
    • Have completed the appropriate written and practical examinations

    If you hold the following aeronautical qualifications you may apply directly for a Radio Operator’s Certificate of Competence (ROCC) for the provision of an AGCS without having to take the written and practical radiotelephony examinations:

    • UK CAA Air Traffic Controller’s licence with a current Unit Endorsement
    • UK CAA Flight Information Service Officer’s licence with a current validation at an aerodrome or area control centre
    • ATC Certificate of Competence issued to a member of HM Forces with a current unit validation

    No medical certificate is required in order for the holder of an ROCC to operate an aeronautical radio station.


  • The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) appoints and authorises examiners to conduct written and practical radio-telephony examinations for the Radio Operator's Certificate of Competence (ROCC).

    Examiners can assess candidates who require a ROCC to provide Air Ground Communication Service (AGCS) or Offshore Communications Service (OCS) depending on their authorisation. They can do this either independently or in conjunction with organisations providing training courses.

    The CAA does not approve any training courses for the ROCC.

    Applying for the grant of a ROCC to provide an AGCS

    Applying for the grant of a ROCC to provide an OCS

    Please note - The CAA is introducing electronic examinations (e-Exams) to replace the paper-based system. This transition has commenced with Flight Crew Professional examinations for Aeroplane & Helicopter ATPL, CPL and IR.

    • Application form SRG 1413 with the relevant sections completed by the applicant and examiner.
    • The Relevant fee
    • The written test papers
    • Certified copy of your Identification ( A CAA Authorised ROCC Examiner can act as a certifier)
    • Copies of qualifying exemption paperwork (if applicable) 

    If you are applying for the grant of an ROCC for the provision of an Air Ground Communications Service (AGCS), Offshore Communications Service (OCS), or Parachute please complete the appropriate sections of Form SRG 1413 Application for Radio Operator's Certificate of Competence.

    NB: Section 5 of the SRG 1413 will need to be completed by the examiner who has conducted the written and practical examinations.

    Once you have completed the SRG 1413 application form, this will need to be submitted via post (address below) with the appropriate supporting documents.

    • The assessment of your application is completed by a Licensing Assistant or Officer
    • Following an acceptable assessment the certificate is then processed, signed and dispatched to the correspondence address.
    • We will contact you or the examiner if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending awaiting any additional documentation to be submitted. 
    • A refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application.  This will also be applied if you choose to cancel your application.