We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

Apply for a SPL using paper forms

You will need to send us a completed application form and some other documents to apply for a SPL.

You must have already completed a training course at a flight school.

Application form

To apply for a SPL, use form SRG 1105S.

What to include with your form

As well as your completed application form, you will need to send us the following documentation:

  • Proof of identity (certified copy of 1 of the following)
    • passport
    • EU photographic driving licence
    • EU identity card
  • Certified copy of your Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificate
  • Your original logbook(s) or certified copies of all relevant pages
  • Examiner's skill test report form (form SRG 2132)

How to get copies of your documents certified

How to submit your application

Please send your completed application form and supporting documentation to the following address:

Licensing and Training Standards
Licensing Department
Aviation House
Beehive Ring Road
West Sussex

Secure courier

The CAA strongly recommends you use our secure courier service to have your documents returned to you. More information about our secure courier service.

Additional documentation

If you are applying on the basis of:

you will need to send us additional documentation along with your application. Please see the Guidance on documentation section.

Licence fees and costs

Please see our Licence costs section.

Regulations and requirements

Information on the regulations governing the SPL and information about exact requirements are available in the SPL requirements section.

Related regulations

All relevant European regulations such as Part- ARO, ORO, CAT, SPA, NCC, NCO, MED are available on the link shown below. For Flight Crew Regulations please refer to the consolidated version Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011. For other regulations such as Part-ORO, Part-ORA, please check the Air Operations regulations.


Close Related regulations