A national approval, British Civil Airworthiness Requirements (BCAR), are issued under the Air Navigation Order and cover design, manufacture, certification, maintenance, continuing airworthiness management and flight testing of aircraft excluded from UK Regulation (EU) 2018/1139, as amended, including those aircraft listed in Annex I (commonly referred to as Non-Part 21 aircraft).
How much does it cost?
For cost information please see: Airworthiness Application Charges.
How long will it take for my application to be processed?
Correctly completed applications will be processed, acknowledged and passed to the Regional Office for investigation within 10 working days. Approval certificates will be processed and dispatched within 20 working days following receipt of a recommendation from a CAA regional office.
How long is it valid for?
Once approval is granted, approvals remain valid unless cancelled, suspended or revoked.
- SRG 1741
- AD 461
- AD 458
- CAP 553, BCAR regulations for approvals
- CAP 562, Leaflet C20 for information on requirements set for CAA approval of an organisation
- CAP 562, Leaflet 1-18 for information on changes of company name and company registration number
- CAP 747, for Non-Part 21 aircraft types
- UK Part 66 aircraft listing for State aircraft types
Guidance when making an application for BCAR A8-23, A8-24 and A8-25 Approvals
Payments can be made by credit or debit card or by bank transfer or with a cheque made payable to the Civil Aviation Authority.
When using bank transfer, it would be helpful if you could please identify what the payment is for by including the receiving department.
The following will need to be provided with your application:
- Completed form SRG 1741
- Relevant fee
- A draft copy of the Company Exposition (or supplements to existing approvals)
- Completed Form AD458 for all senior staff
- Completed Form AD461 (BCAR A8-15 only)
- A completed organisation internal Audit Report (including objective evidence) to confirm the organisation is complaint and ready for the CAA audit
- Copy of Certificate of Incorporation from Companies House (not applicable if applicant is trading as an individual or partnership)
- Complete application form SRG 1741
- Send the completed form to the Applications and Approvals section (A&A) with relevant fee and copy of Certificate of Incorporation
- Organisation Approvals team will process the application and acknowledge within 10 working days
- Organisation Approvals team will forward a copy of the application to the local CAA regional office.
- A Local CAA regional office will contact the applicant and advise which Surveyor has been nominated to carry out the investigation
- The applicant submits the Company Manual and relevant personnel approval forms to the regional office Surveyor
- A Surveyor will carry out an on-site audit and will follow this with a formal notification of all audit items that need corrective action
- A Surveyor will assess the company manual and personnel approval forms. Interviews with relevant personnel may be required
- Applicant should address the audit findings and provide written notification of corrective action taken. Please note that approval cannot be granted until all audit items have been satisfactorily closed
- Surveyor will assess the organisations proposed corrective actions. Actions will be discussed with the applicant if necessary and, when able to, the Surveyor will close the audit
- When able to do so, the Surveyor will make a recommendation for the grant of the approval. The recommendation will be sent to A&A
- A&A will issue the approval certificate and send original to the applicant