We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings below, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

Current UK regulations aligned British Civil Airworthiness Requirements (BCAR) Section A with European regulations in August 2012. The changes apply to aircraft excluded from European Council Regulation (EC) 216/2008, including those aircraft listed in Annex II, commonly referred to non-Part 21aircraft.

CAP 747 "Mandatory Requirements for Airworthiness" contains the list of non-Part 21 aircraft types. It also provides a statement of the general categories of aircraft that are excluded from European regulations and so remain subject to National rules. These changes apply to non-Part 21 aircraft that operate on a Certificate of Airworthiness (C of A).

The CAA has determined that some aircraft types are required to meet Additional Requirements for Importation (ARIs) prior to the issue of a Certificate of Airworthiness (C of A).

  • CAP 562, Leaflet B-100 defines the acceptance standards for imported aircraft for which a UK C of A is sought.

The CAA issue a non-expiring C of A, National Airworthiness Review Certificate (National ARC) and noise certificate (if required) for each aircraft. After receipt of your non-expiring C of A and initial National ARC, the National ARC can be extended for two years, after which time a full airworthiness review will be required prior to a new National ARC being issued.

For a used non-Part 21 craft being imported into the UK a check flight is required to support the airworthiness review.


The recommendation for the initial issue of a National ARC may only be made by a A8-25 (CAMO) or an A8-15 (M3) organisation that holds appropriate approval for this purpose.

Non-military State aircraft, those used for commercial air transport, or public transport are to be managed by an A8-25 (CAMO) and maintained by an A8-23 (M1) organisation.

Remaining C of A aircraft may have their continuing airworthiness managed by an A8-25 (CAMO) or they can have an annual review performed by an A8-25 (CAMO). For those aircraft below 2730kg the annual review can also be carried out by an appropriately licensed engineer.

For aircraft below 2730kg MTOW, maintenance may be performed by an A8-24 (M1), (M2) or independent certifying staff.

In order to successfully make an application you must provide:

  • Details of the aircraft
  • Approved Organisation details
  • Location of the aircraft for survey (if required)

Please note: The aircraft must be registered in the UK prior to the issue of any Airworthiness Certificate.

As required by Commission Regulation (EU) No 1079/2012, all new aircraft issued with an individual Certificate of Airworthiness after 17 November 2013, which have VHF radios fitted, are required to have a radio with an 8.33KHz channel spacing. It is the owners / operators responsibility to ensure that the aircraft is appropriately equipped with such a radio.

How much does it cost?

Please use our non-Part 21 Fee Calculator for details of the current charges.

In the event of a discrepancy between the information here and the Scheme of Charges, the Scheme of Charges takes precedence.

How Long Does It Take?

The application will be reviewed to determine if Airworthiness Surveyor involvement is required.

The Service Standard for the processing of instructions for your application to our Resource Scheduling Team is 15 working days from receipt of your correctly completed application and clearance of the required fee.

Please note, the application should include all required supporting documents, accepted exceptions, validations and qualifying data.

The applicant will be contacted to arrange date(s) for survey of the aircraft and the associated aircraft records by our Resource Scheduling Team. A Certificate of Airworthiness, Airworthiness Review Certificate and Noise Certificate (if required) will be issued when the aircraft has been shown to meet the applicable requirements and is deemed airworthy.

How long is it valid for?

All national aircraft registered in the UK and operating on a National Certificate of Airworthiness (C of A) are issued with a non-expiring C of A, validated annually by a National Airworthiness Review Certificate (N ARC).

What else do I need to know?

A Satisfactory Airworthiness Review in accordance with BCAR Section A (A8-25 para 10 or A8-15 para 3) must be completed and a National ARC Issue Recommendation made for all aircraft imported from outside the UK prior to the issue of the Certificate of Airworthiness. This should be provided to the CAA prior to any survey.

Close What else do I need to know?

What do I need to include with my application?

  • Completed CofA Online Form
  • Aircraft details (reg/type/s/n/engines and props if applicable/weights etc.) *
  • Details of the organisation supporting the application (they may be the applicant/presenter or support the organisation/individual presenting the aircraft) *
  • If the aircraft is an Annex II type and classified as an orphan they must supply a copy of their Type Responsibility agreement
  • Confirmation of the certification status applicable to the aircraft *
  • Details of the Approved Maintenance Programme
  • Details of the Flight Manual (if applicable)
  • Confirmation of the place of survey *
  • Confirmation of CAP 747 compliance
  • Confirmation of the mod status of the aircraft
  • Airworthiness Transfer Documentation
    • Non-EASA aircraft (those falling under Annex II of EU regulation (EC) 216/2008), one of the following:
      • An Export Certificate of Airworthiness issued within the 60 days preceding receipt of the application by the CAA
      • A current domestic Certificate of Airworthiness issued or renewed less than twelve months prior to the date of receipt of the application by the CAA
      • A current domestic Certificate of Airworthiness issued or renewed more than twelve months prior to the date of receipt of the application by the CAA and a statement from the exporting authority.

*Mandatory information required

Close What do I need to include with my application?

How do I apply?

Please use the C of A Online Form to submit your application and payment.

Close How do I apply?

What happens next?

  • Complete the C of A Online Form and pay the applicable fee online.
  • The application will be passed to the Technical Section for review.
  • Further information to substantiate the application may be required - the Maintenance Organisation or CAMO will usually be the contact for this information.
  • Upon successful review of the application it will be determined if Surveyor Involvement is required.
  • The Resource Management team will arrange for the Regional Office Surveyor to survey the aircraft
  • A Certificate of Airworthiness, Airworthiness Review Certificate and Noise Certificate (if applicable) will be issued once the Regional Office Surveyor is satisfied that all necessary paperwork is in order and that the aircraft is airworthy.
Close What happens next?

Provide page feedback

Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. UK Civil Aviation Authority update on ATOL Reform consultation
  2. 2022 quarter one flight data
  3. Continued focus on change for GA Team

View all latest news