Initial Issue refers to the first National ARC issued as part of the C of A (Certificate of Airworthiness) issue. Applicable to the first transfer of an aircraft to the UK register or aircraft returning to the UK register. Renewal refers to issue or extension of a national ARC for aircraft already issued with a non-expiring national C of A.
Who can apply to recommend to the CAA?
- A BCAR A8-25 CAMO with National ARC privileges for the aircraft type
- A BCAR A8-15 (Iss 7 of CAP 553) organisation with National ARC privileges for the aircraft group (applicable to aircraft of 2730kg MTOW and below, not being used for Commercial Air Transport or State purposes)
- Before a new National ARC can be issued, the aircraft must have completed a satisfactory airworthiness review in accordance with BCAR A8-25. An airworthiness review may be conducted only by an approved BCAR A8-25 CAMO or A8-15 approved organisation with the National ARC privilege (with the applicable group / aircraft type)
- A full documented review of the aircraft records and a physical survey of the aircraft will be required in accordance with BCAR A3-1, Appendix 1
- State aircraft and those used for commercial air transport, are required to be managed by an appropriately approved BCAR A8-25 CAMO and maintained by appropriately approved BCAR A8-23 (M1) organisations
- Remaining CofA aircraft may be managed by an appropriately approved BCAR A8-25 CAMO or they can have an Annual Review performed by an A8-25 CAMO or an A8-15 (M3) organisation or appropriately licensed engineer
For aircraft below 2730 kg MTOW, maintenance may be performed by M1/M2 (A8-23/A8-24) organisations or an appropriately licensed engineer.
How much does it cost?
- Please use our Annex II C of A Fee Calculator for details of the current charges for Annex II aircraft.
In the event of a discrepancy between the information here and the Official Record Series 5, CAA Scheme of Charges (Airworthiness, Noise Certification and Aircraft and Aircraft Engine Emissions), the Scheme of Charges takes precedence.
Payments can be made by credit or debit card or by bank transfer made payable to the Civil Aviation Authority.
When using bank transfer, make sure you identify what the payment is for by including:
- the aircraft registration
- the application type (i.e. National ARC issue)
- the receiving department
Additional Charges: If the cost of our investigations exceeds the application charge payable, there will be additional charges to recover those excess costs incurred by the CAA in accordance with the Scheme of Charges.
The balance for the excess hourly charge (total hourly charge less initial charge already paid) is payable to the CAA and will be invoiced to you.
How long is it valid for?
12 months unless revoked, suspended or cancelled.
- An aircraft in a Controlled Environment is one that has been continuously managed by a Continuing Airworthiness Management Organisation (CAMO) for 12 months prior to ARC expiry.
- For orphan aircraft types a valid Type Responsibility Agreement (TRA) must be in place.
- Aircraft may require a valid Check Flight
All maintenance carried out on the aircraft must have been performed by a suitably approved maintenance organisation, or appropriately licensed engineers or the pilot / owner as appropriate.
Recommendations for the CAA to Issue National ARC
- A completed online application form
- Correct Fee
Organisations that have the privilege to Issue and/or extend National ARC's (1st and 2nd Extensions).
- A copy of the issued / extended National ARC must be sent to Applications & Approvals within 10 days of issue
- The application is processed and reviewed
- The organisation/individual making the recommendation will be advised if any discrepancies are raised and these will need to be rectified before the application can proceed.
- The National ARC is issued
- The National ARC is posted to the return address provided and G-INFO is updated
If it is determined that a CAA Surveyor should complete an airworthiness review, you will be contacted by the Resource Management team who will schedule the visit for the surveyor to conduct the review.
Once the surveyor is satisfied they will issue the National ARC.
- Correctly completed recommendations for the issue of a National ARC will be processed and the new National ARC will be issued within 5 working days of receipt.
- Submissions of a copy of the issued National ARC will result in G-INFO being updated within 5 working days of receipt.
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.