Renewable energy and aviation industries are both important to the UK and their interests must be balanced carefully.
Some forms of renewable energy can have an impact on aviation, therefore it is imperative that aviation interests are taken into account when renewable energy schemes are being developed. The Government has recognised this and provision for aerodrome safeguarding has been made in the updated National Policy Statements with regard to Energy Infrastructure (November 2023).
The revised documents cover:
- EN 1 Overarching National Policy Statement for Energy
- EN 2 National Policy Statement for Natural Gas Electricity Generating Infrastructure
- EN 3 National Policy Statement for Renewable Energy Infrastructure
- EN 4 National Policy Statement for Natural Gas Supply Infrastructure & Gas & Oil Pipelines
- EN 5 National Policy Statement for Electricity Networks Infrastructure
- National Policy Statement for Energy: Appraisal of Sustainability
- National Policy Statement for Energy: Habitats Regulations Assessment
The main section for Aerodrome Safeguarding can be found in EN1 Section 5.5 on page 111 and deals with Civil & Military Aviation & Defence Interests. Mention of aerodrome safeguarding can also be found in the other documents. All documents can be found at:
For further general guidance in relation to photovoltaic developments and airports please refer to CAST guidance.