We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

Validating an ICAO licence for work allows you to fly for remuneration on non-commercial operations, commercial air transport or other commercial activities using your ICAO licence.

Who needs to apply

Holders of an ICAO licence who wish to be paid for activities such as:

  • non-commercial operations defined under Part-NCC
  • filming
  • crop spraying
  • Commercial Air Transport


You must hold the following:

  • A valid and current ICAO licence and medical (this means a valid licence, with a valid rating with a valid medical certificate).
  • Any class or type ratings you intend to fly with this validation must also be current and valid.

The following must be met:

  • the aircraft you intend to fly is registered in the UK,
  • the operator’s Principal Place of Business is in the UK,
  • the aircraft is based/maintained in the UK.

Skill test

You must complete a skill test that comprises of the type or class revalidation requirements. You can complete your skill test with an authorised UK examiner.

Language proficiency

You will need to demonstrate language proficiency, and this must be tested by a UK examiner. If you don’t pass your language proficiency test, you will need to attend an ATO approved by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).


You will need to obtain a UK Part MED Class One Medical Certificate.


There is a cost for professional licences.

Validity period

The licence is valid for one year.

The applicant must enter a Part-FCL course in order to obtain the UK licence before the validation expires if the validation is to be extended.

The validation can only be extended once and before it expires.

What else do I need to know?

The commercial and non-commercial activities validations with remuneration (CAP1442) offers further information.

What to include with my application

You will need to include the following information with your application:

  • Application form SRG2134 with supporting documentation.
  • Appropriate examiner report following completion of skill test.
  • Proof of your ID (This can be a certified copy of your valid passport/full UK photographic driving licence, or a close up photo of you holding your ID in which your face and ID are clearly visible)
  • Letter of verification from the issuing authority of the pilot’s licence (you will need to contact your issuing authority to get this).
  • Logbook evidence, which must be sent either as: original logbooks (preferred), or copies of your logbook pages.

Please make sure all attachments are in PDF format. Any evidence deemed unsuitable will delay your application being processed.

How to apply

Once all the requirements above have been met, the application should be submitted by email to the address pilotvalidation@caa.co.uk.