We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings below, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

This validation allows you to fly in non-commercial operations or activities, day VFR only in UK airspace, using your ICAO licence.

Who needs to apply?

Holders of an ICAO licence who wish to fly privately, in non-commercial operations, for more than 28 calendar days a year in UK airspace:


You must hold:

  • a valid and ICAO licence and medical (this means a valid licence, with a valid rating with a valid medical certificate)
  • any class or type ratings you intend to fly with this validation must also be current and valid
  • a minimum experience of at least 100 hours as pilot in the relevant category of aircraft

Skill test

You must complete a licence skill test with an authorised Part-FCL UK examiner.

Language proficiency

You will need to demonstrate language proficiency, and this must be tested by a UK examiner. If you don’t pass your language proficiency test, you will need to attend a UK Training Organisation.


You will need to obtain a UK Part MED Class Two Medical Certificateif you do not hold a full ICAO class II medical certificate.

Note that FAA Class II medicals are NOT ICAO compliant.


Validity period

Up to one year.

You must enter a course in order to obtain a UK licence BEFORE the validation expires if the validation is to be extended.

The validation can only be extended once and before it expires.

What else do I need to know?

Read Article 6 or 7of Section 2 to UK (EU) 2020/723

What do I need to include with my application?

  • Application form SRG2139 with supporting documentation
  • Appropriate examiner report following completion of skill test
  • ID (certified copy of passport)
  • Letter of verification from the issuing authority of the pilot’s licence
  • Logbook evidence, which must be sent either as: original logbooks (preferred), or certified copies of your logbook pages

Please make sure all attachments are in PDF format. Any evidence deemed unsuitable will delay your application being processed.

How to apply

Once all of the requirements above have been met, the application should be submitted by email to the address below.

Contact us


Provide page feedback

Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. Continued focus on change for GA Team
  2. Virtual aviation work experience partnership with Springpod
  3. Helicopter pilot sentenced for forging licence

View all latest news