We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

This privilege allows you to make aerobatic flights provided that you have a current and valid UK CAA issued Pilots Licence for aeroplanes, Touring Motor Gliders (TMG) or sailplanes.

You must hold this rating on your licence in order to exercise the privileges. 

Validity period

The aerobatic rating is non-expiring (it has lifetime validity).

Who can apply

It is now mandatory to hold the aerobatic rating on your licence in order to make aerobatic flights .

Holders of a UK National or UK issued JAR-FCL pilot’s licence who exercised aerobatic privileges before 8 April 2018 using these licences, but do not have the aerobatic rating endorsed on their licence, can apply to have the rating added to their UK licence without completing an initial training course.

Conversion of these privileges usually applies at the time of licence conversion (to a UK Part-FCL licence).

If you do not have previous aerobatic experience, please refer instead to Applying for Additional Ratings for information on the applicable application route. 


There are many different conversion routes available as detailed in the UK conversion report contained in CAP804, Part 1, Section 4, Part P and listed below.

You must have received the theoretical knowledge specified in AMC No 1 to FCL.800, and comply with any one of the following, having completed:

An AOPA/BAeA aerobatic course

Please include evidence of this with your application, such as a copy of the course completion certificate.

A BGA aerobatic course

Glider pilots who have completed any of the BGA’s aerobatic courses must include a copy of the course completion certificate with their application.

Aerobatic training with the UK military forces (other than the British Army)

Please include course completion certificates or copies of the appropriate pages of the military logbook with your application.

This could be for either:

  • the UK RAF Elementary Flying Training course;
  • the UK RN Elementary Flying Training course;
  • a UK military Basic Fast Jet Flying Training course.

UK Display Authorisation

If you hold or have held a UK Display Authorisation, which includes / included authorisation to perform aerobatics at a display, you must include a copy of the Display Authorisation with your application.

Experience gained at a BAeA sanctioned event

If you have flown aerobatic manoeuvres at a BAeA sanctioned event (including glider events) you must include evidence of this with your application, such as proof of attendance and flying at the event by way of certificate etc. 

Unrestricted FI/AFI ratings

If you have FI or AFI ratings and have had the “no aerobatic restriction” removed following compliance with UK requirements to instruct aerobatics, no additional evidence is required.

How to Apply

If you hold a UK National/JAR licence and need to convert to a UK Part-FCL licence, please apply using online application form SRG 1104.

If you are applying solely for the aerobatic rating, please use online application form SRG 2157.

You will need to upload the following supporting documents as part of the application:

  • A copy of your UK licence including certificate of revalidation pages/logbook pages showing the rating endorsements
  • A copy of the relevant pages from your logbook
  • Evidence showing the conversion requirements have been met as detailed above

Guidance on documentation

All documents should be uploaded with a different filename clearly stating the content of the file attachment (for example Passport, Licence copy etc.)

Submitting documents with the same filename may result in the loss of information in the system and added delays to the application assessment.

For questions relating to the format of supporting documentation, please refer to guidance on documentation.


Please note: if you need to convert your licence to a UK Part-FCL licence, there will be an additional charge on top of the rating fee.


If you require accessibility assistance with submitting your application online, please do not hesitate to contact our support team on 0330 022 1972 (Monday-Friday 08:30-16:30).

Contact us

If you have any questions please contact our licensing team:

Email fclweb@caa.co.uk (preferred)
Phone 0330 022 1972 (Mon - Fri 08:30 - 16:30)