If you have a BGA Gliding Certificate with sailplane towing privilege you can convert this rating to a Part FCL licence.
If you hold an existing UK issued Flight Crew licence which has not already been converted to a Part-FCL licence, then the conversion process will take place when you apply for the sailplane towing rating.
Please check our information on licence conversions or details of the application form and supporting information that we require. Ratings will be granted for aeroplanes, TMGs or both according to the information that you provide. When applying please confirm whether you are applying to tow gliders in an aeroplane, TMG or both.
The UK CAA have deferred the requirement to hold this rating until 8 April 2018.
The sailplane towing standards in the UK, established by the BGA, are competency based. These are considered equivalent to those of Part-FCL, particularly in respect of the flying experience and theoretical knowledge requirements.
See the Comparison Tables in Section 4 of CAP 804 for details.
- The differences shown in the Comparison Table are reflected in the conversion requirements.
- Ratings will be granted for aeroplanes or TMGs according to the information you provide.
A Part-FCL Sailplane Towing Rating will be granted to pilots who:
- Convert their UK issued licence to a Part FCL licence before 8 April 2018.
- Have qualified to tow through a BGA gliding club, and show logbook evidence of the following:
- at least 30 hours of flight time as PIC and 60 take-offs and landings in aeroplanes, if the activity is to be carried out in aeroplane, or in TMG, if the activity is to be carried out in TMGs, completed after the issue of the UK licence.
- at least 10 flights as PIC towing a sailplane in an Aeroplane at a BGA Club. The Sailplane Towing Rating will be restricted to Aeroplanes only.
- at least 10 flights as PIC towing a sailplane in a TMG at a BGA Club. The Sailplane Towing Rating will be restricted to TMG’s only.
Once the Sailplane Towing rating has been endorsed on to a Part-FCL licence you cannot begin towing until you meet the requirements shown in FCL 805(e), Section 4. If you don't meet these requirements, you must first complete the missing tows with an instructor.
Up until 8 April 2018, the supervising instructor can be the nominated Chief Tug Pilot at the Gliding Club. To take advantage of our conversion requirements to add a sailplane rowing rating to your aeroplane licence, you must have been exercising the privileges before 8 April 2018.
The fee will vary according to your circumstances. For example, whether you already hold a UK licence, and whether that licence has already been converted to an EASA-FCL licence, or if your application will be made at the same time as applying for something else.
The sailplane towing rating does not have a validity period.
You will need to provide
- Online application form SRG 1104 if applying at the time of licence conversion. If applying at any other time SRG 2157
- Certified copy of the applicants Certificate of Revalidation page from licence
- Evidence showing the conversion requirements have been met as detailed above
- In addition, applicants applying on the basis of a conversion must provide any documentation as stated in the conversion requirements as detailed in CAP804, Section 4, part P
- Please ensure that you have scanned copies of any supporting documents as the will need to be attached to your online application
Shared Service Centre
Civil Aviation Authority
Beehive Ring Road
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority
- Continued focus on change for GA Team
- Virtual aviation work experience partnership with Springpod
- Helicopter pilot sentenced for forging licence