Based at the CAA's Gatwick office, the Aviation Health Unit (AHU) is responsible for:
- Providing information for health professionals, passengers and aircrew on the health aspects of air travel
- Advising Government on the health aspects of air travel for passengers and aircrew
- Identifying research needs in aviation health and supporting the delivery of these research needs in accordance with CAA and Government strategy and priorities
Fitness to fly enquiries
Most airlines provide information on their website for passengers who have medical conditions which may affect their fitness to fly, including any specific requirements the airline has for medical clearance or provision of ‘fit to fly’ certificates.
The passenger section of our website provides:
- Information for passengers on common medical problems that may affect fitness to fly
- Guidance for health professionals on assessment of fitness to fly, including specific guidance on some of the more frequently encountered or significant health issues
The AHU is not able to offer individual advice to passengers. Passengers who need further advice on their fitness to fly should contact their airline or treating doctor / health professional.
The AHU does offer advice to UK doctors and other health professionals who have queries about individual patients with conditions which are not covered in the website guidance and where guidance is not available from the airline.
The AHU can be contacted by email and details of a contact telephone number and availability should be included if verbal discussion of the case is likely to be required.
While we endeavour to respond to enquiries as quickly as possible, usually within 5 working days, we may not always be able to respond to enquiries where the patient is due to fly within a few days.
The AHU does not provide ‘fit to fly’ certificates and the final decision on whether to accept a passenger for flight is the legal responsibility of the airline / aircraft commander.
How to contact us
The AHU can be contacted by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office hours are from 0830 to 1630, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). Emails at other times will be followed up as soon as possible.
Media enquiries should be directed to the CAA Press Office.