As part of the criminal record check requirement in the regulated aviation industry only, overseas criminal record certificates are required for each country the applicant has been continuously resident in for 6 months or more, covering the previous 5 year period.
Applications in overseas countries vary and detailed advice for most countries can be found at:
If the country in which the applicant was based is not listed on either of the two websites, please contact that country’s Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in the UK for advice. Contact details can be found at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).
Applicants who cannot obtain an overseas criminal record check
In exceptional case cases such as official sources do not exist or they are unable to supply the individual with a certificate, the individual should be requested to provide:
- a sworn oath
- a character reference from a suitable referee
- evidence as to why it is not possible to obtain the criminal record certificate
This may be because a government’s administration has collapsed to a point where no credible official sources of information exist, or there is a risk to the individual’s personal safety if they make contact with that country.
The information provided should be checked for accuracy and authenticity.
Employers may wish to consider taking into account the following factors:
- has the person known the applicant for a reasonable period of time (for example 2 years)?
- are they resident in the UK?
- do they hold a British or Irish passport and/or a National Identity card?
- are they related to the applicant by birth, adoption, marriage or living together as husband and wife?
- do they live at the same address as the applicant?
Overseas criminal record checks for former members of HM Forces
If you have served overseas with HM Armed Forces in the last 5 years you will need to provide an extract from your service records. The extract must expressly disclose any convictions you may have, and should cover periods spent overseas of 6 months or more.