• You can get a Certificate of Airworthiness for National (Annex II) and EASA aircraft that meet the certification standards required.

    To find out which aircraft may be eligible for an EASA C of A, visit the EASA website.

    To find out which aircraft may be eligible for a National C of A, see CAP 747. State Aircraft (e.g. police, Search and Rescue) are only eligible for a National C of A according to EC regulation 216/2008, Article 1 para 2.

    Certificate of Airworthiness (C of A) Issue refers to the validation of an aircraft’s first C of A.

    A C of A Subsequent Issue is applicable when:

    • The previous UK C of A has been revoked or surrendered
    • The aircraft held a UK C of A prior to export and has since returned to the UK Register
    • The aircraft was removed from, and has since been re-registered on, the UK Register
    • The aircraft's current Certificate of Airworthiness has expired and a non-expiring Certificate of Airworthiness has yet to be issued

    Who can apply

    • Registered Aircraft Owners
    • Aircraft Operators
    • Continuing Airworthiness Maintenance Organisations (CAMOs)
    • Maintenance Organisations

    How to apply

    Additional resources

  • Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)

    Some will require a C of A. Applications are dealt with by contacting UAVenquiries@caa.co.uk.

    Hang gliders, foot-launched powered hang gliders, paragliders and single seat microlights.

    Although it is mandatory to comply with the Rules of the Air, hang gliders, foot launched power gliders, paragliders and registered single seat microlights (SSDRs below 300kg) are not required to hold a C of A or Permit to Fly.

    Non-EASA balloons

    Privately operated non-EASA balloons are not eligible for a C of A under ANO Article 16. Please contact apply@caa.co.uk if you require further guidance.