General service standards
- Our staff will be courteous and helpful.
- Visitors who have a pre-arranged appointment will be seen on time.
- Telephones will be answered promptly. Your enquiries will be dealt with at that time or under a 'call back' arrangement acceptable to you. The nature of some enquiries may be required to be submitted in writing to us and this will be advised where applicable.
- Written communications will be replied to within ten working days. Some communications and requests for information require comprehensive responses which might take longer to prepare. In these cases, we will acknowledge your correspondence within ten working days. We will advise when you can expect to receive a comprehensive reply and who may be contacted on the matter.
- We aim to achieve our specific service standards (see below) on 90% of occasions. This target has been set because our ability to meet these standards is affected by many factors, not least of which is seasonal variation in demand.
- It should also be noted that we are sometimes not the only organisation involved in a particular process. However, if this is the case we will inform you of the situation.
- We are working towards further digitisation of our service, including our on-line services.
- We aim to continuously improve how we provide our services.
Specific service standards
Our service standards, set out below, are based on the assumption that the following necessary inputs have been provided by you, the applicant:
- a correct and complete application with the relevant and required supporting documents. Incorrect or incomplete applications will result in delays;
- the application is submitted on behalf of an appropriately approved organisation or suitably authorised individual;
- the required and requested information in a satisfactory and timely manner;
- the appropriate fees;
- timely access to your facilities, personnel or aircraft, as we require;
Our standards also assume that we are satisfied with the results of any required:
- examination or competency check
- inspection, audit, technical assessment, or survey
- flight inspection or flight test whether carried out by us or by an appropriately approved organisation
For long or complex projects, or where other Aviation Authorities are involved, a progress review process will be established with the applicant, SARG, and the other agencies involved. In such cases, where the following service levels cannot be achieved, individuals/organisations will be contacted with a revised timeframe for completion.
- Personnel Licences will be assessed within 10 working days. This may take up to 30 working days where a technical assessment is required.
- The results of Personnel Licence examinations will be notified to the candidates within 10 working days of the examination date.
- Commercial Pilots Licence and Instrument Rating skill tests will be provided within 10 working days of the applicant's requested date, weather permitting.
- The results of Initial Class 1 medical examinations will be notified within 10 working days.
- Completed new aircraft registrations and overseas de-registrations will be produced within 3 working days.
- Changes of registered ownership and other register amendments will be produced within 7 working days
- Mortgage entries, discharges and priority notices will be produced within 3 working days
- Permissions, Exemptions and Variations will be issued within 10 working days.
- Permission for Commercial Operation will be issued within 28 working days.
- Reports on the results of audits and inspections will be provided within 20 working days of the completion of the audit or inspection.
- Airworthiness Approval Certificates will be issued within 20 working days. **
- Certificates of Airworthiness will be issued within 15 working days. **
- Air Operator Certificates will be issued within 20 working days. **
- Airworthiness Review Certificates will be renewed within 5 working days
- Permits to Fly will be issued or renewed within 20 working days. **
** Following the receipt of a recommendation by the responsible technical authority within the CAA
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority
- Continued focus on change for GA Team
- Virtual aviation work experience partnership with Springpod
- Helicopter pilot sentenced for forging licence