In May 2022 the CAA published its Environmental Sustainability Strategy that sets out how it will work with the whole aviation system, both domestically and globally, to address environmental performance in aviation.
The Strategy explains the CAA will focus its expertise and leadership in the following areas:
- enabling development of Jet Zero technology;
- co-leading the modernisation of airspace;
- reporting on the sustainability performance of industry, including noise, and providing information to consumers on the environmental impact of aviation;
- advising and supporting the UK government on domestic and international policy;
- reducing the impact of our corporate activities and operations;
- assessing local environmental impacts in relevant regulatory activity and monitoring how industry is adapting to climate change;
- taking into account the environment in regulation and oversight.
The Strategy provides our colleagues, stakeholders, and those we regulate with clarity on our roles, remit and ambition and it explains what we plan to deliver in the short and medium term, setting our vision within the long-term nature of climate change and the government and industry’s evolving approaches.