Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) fall into the following categories:
- Communication, Navigation, Surveillance (CNS)
CNS service providers may provide one or more of the above services.
- Meteorological (MET)
MET can be either providers of Meteorological Aerodrome Reports (METARS) and Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts (TAFs) or providers of local observations only. Meteorological forecasting and climatological services for civil aviation are provided on an exclusive basis by the UK Met Office.
- Aeronautical Information Service (AIS)
Aeronautical Information Services are provided on an exclusive basis by NATS (EN Route) Plc.
- Air Traffic Service (ATS)
ATS can be either an Air Traffic Control (ATC) or an Aerodrome Flight Information Service (AFIS).
All organisations intending to provide an air navigational service must be in possession of a certificate issued by the CAA in accordance with Regulation UK (EU) 550/2004, (the service provision regulation), article 7.
ATS providers will also be required to be ‘designated’ to provide their services on an exclusive basis within a specific airspace block, at a specific location, in accordance with Regulation UK (EU) 550/2004, article 8.
Where the ATS provider provides an Air Traffic Control Service they must also be certified as a Training Organisation in accordance with the requirements of Regulation UK (EU) 2015/340.
To achieve certification as an ATS provider an organisation must demonstrate compliance with Annex III and Annex IV of Regulation UK (EU) No. 2017/373, (the common requirements for the provision of air traffic management/air navigation services).
To achieve certification as a CNS provider an organisation must demonstrate compliance with Annex III and Annex VIII of Regulation UK (EU) No. 2017/373.
To achieve certification as a MET provider an organisation must demonstrate compliance with Annex III and Annex V of Regulation UK (EU) No. 2017/373.
All applicants must demonstrate compliance with Regulation UK (EU) 376/2014 (the reporting of occurrences in civil aviation).
Noncomplex organisations may apply for ‘Limitation’ from some of the financial and business requirements of Regulation UK (EU) No. 2017/373. Further information on limited certificates will be provided on application.
Applicants are also to submit completed compliance matrices relevant to the type of service they intend to provide as follows:
- Regulation 2017/373 Compliance Matrix ANNEX III Part OR(All ANSPs)
- Regulation 2017/373 Compliance Matrix ANNEX IV Part ATS
- Regulation 2017/373 Compliance Matrix ANNEX V Part MET
- Regulation 2017/373 Compliance Matrix ANNEX VIII Part CNS
- Regulation 376/2014 Compliance Matrix: All ANSPs
In addition, the following compliance matrices may also be applicable dependent of the scope of the intended service. More detail will be provided on application.
- Regulation 2017/373 Compliance Matrix ANNEX VI Part AIS
- Regulation 2017/373 Compliance Matrix ANNEX IX Part ATFM
- Regulation 2017/373 Compliance Matrix ANNEX X Part ASM
- Regulation 2017/373 Compliance Matrix ANNEX XIII Part PERS(ATSEP)
The compliance matrices should reference applicable supporting documentation, which must also be submitted.
When an organisation applying for initial ANSP certification and designation to provide an ATS has successfully demonstrated sufficient compliance with the applicable legislation, the CAA will issue an ANSP certificate and a 'letter of designation', relevant to the location where the services are to be provided.
Where an ANSP, already holding a certificate, intends to provide an ATS at an additional location the ANSP must make application to the CAA for designation, at that location, on CAA on form SRG 1428 with appropriate payment. Please refer to CAA Scheme of Charges No: 335.
The certified ANSP must resubmit their compliance matrices which must now demonstrate how compliance with the relevant legislation is achieved at all locations where it is intended to provide a service.
Please refer to the related information below before making an application for certification or designation.
The following organisations have been certificated by the CAA to provide Air Navigation Services.
Details correct on 1st November 2021
- Air Caernarfon Ltd
- Air Navigation Solutions Ltd (Gatwick, Edinburgh)
- Argyll & Bute Council (Oban)
- Air Traffic Control Services Ltd (Liverpool, Teesside, Doncaster Sheffield)
- BAE Systems Marine Ltd (Walney Island)
- BAE Systems (Operations) Ltd (Warton)
- Biggin Hill Airport Ltd
- Birmingham Airport Air Traffic Ltd
- Blackbushe Airport Ltd
- Blackpool Airport Operations Limited
- Bournemouth International Airport
- Brighton City Airport Ltd (Shoreham)
- City Airport Ltd (Barton)
- CODA (Operations) Ltd (Derry)
- Cornwall Airport Ltd
- Council of The Isles of Scilly (St Mary's)
- Coventry Airport Ltd
- Cranfield University
- Exeter & Devon Airport Ltd
- Fairoaks Operations Ltd
- Fareham Borough Council (Lee-on-Solent)
- Glasgow Prestwick Airport Ltd
- Gloucestershire Airport Ltd
- Goodwood Road Racing Company Ltd
- Herefordshire Aero Club Ltd (Shobdon)
- Highlands and Islands Airports Ltd
- Humberside International Airport Ltd
- Imperial War Museum Duxford
- Kemble Air Services Ltd
- Land's End Airport Ltd
- Leeds Bradford Airport Ltd
- Leicestershire Aero Club Ltd
- Leonardo UK Ltd (Yeovil)
- London Ashford Airport
- London Heliport Ltd
- London Southend Airport Company Ltd
- Manchester Airport Group Plc
- Marshalls of Cambridge Aerospace Ltd
- Met Office
- Mid-Wales Airport Ltd (Welshpool)
- Montclare Shipping Co. Ltd (Elstree)
- NATS (En-Route) Plc
- NATS (Services) Ltd
- Newcastle International Airport Ltd
- Norwich Airport Ltd
- Oxford Aviation Services Ltd
- Pembrokeshire County Council (Haverfordwest)
- Radarmoor Limited (Wellesbourne)
- Redhill Aerodrome Ltd
- Rochester Airport Ltd
- Serco Ltd (Hawarden)
- Shenley Farms (Aviation) Ltd (Headcorn)
- Sherburn Aero Club Ltd
- Shetland Islands Council (Tingwall)
- Shuttleworth Old Warden Aerodrome
- Sloane helicopters Ltd (Penzance)
- Snowdonia Aerospace LLP (Llandbedr)
- Sywell Aviation Ltd
- Tatenhill Aviation Ltd
- West Wales Airport Ltd
- Wolverhampton Airport Ltd
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.