We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

EU exit

Please note that, in the event of UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of licences and certificates ceasing, some CAA website content and application forms may continue to carry the EASA logo or reference the EU or EASA rather than the UK CAA in the short term.

These will be updated in due course following the outcome of the transition period negotiations on the long-term aviation relationship between the UK and the EU. In the meantime, the guidance provided and the application forms accessed via the CAA website portal will continue to be valid.

Replace your licence

Pilots are required to have their licence with them when they fly. If your licence has been lost, damaged or stolen, you will need to request a replacement licence.

We can only re-issue your licence if:

  • Your medical is current and appropriate level for the licence that needs replacing,
  • Your language proficiency is up to date.

If you are unsure if your medical is current, please contact your aero medical examiner (AME) or the UK CAA medical department.

If your language proficiency is expired, please see our guidance on how to get assessed and for the language proficiency endorsement.

If you have not already converted your pilot licence to Part-FCL licence, requesting a replacement licence will mean that your licence will be compulsory converted to Part-FCL licence and a conversion fee will be charged. These fees are set out in Licence fees and costs section.

How to apply for a licence replacement

To request a replacement licence, use the SRG1117 Online Application for copy or replacement documents - licences and/or certificates.

What documents to submit

As part of the online application, you will be asked to upload the following:

  • An original or certified copy of either your passport (preferred) or a Full UK Photographic Driving Licence
  • Evidence of ratings

If you are requesting a replacement CPL, MPL or ATPL, you will also need to provide:

  • Your employer’s name
  • Your employer’s company AOC number

How to get copies of your documents certified

The fee

Please see our Licensing fees and costs (full details are available in Scheme of Charges (Personell Licensing)).

An additional fee applies if you wish your documents to be returned by secure courier.

See the Making sure your documents are safely returned section for more details.

File size limit

Please note that there is currently 50Mb size limit for files uploaded to our forms.

If your attachments exceed 50Mb, you should send all supporting documentation to fclweb@caa.co.uk quoting your application number.

Guidance on documentation

All documents should be uploaded with a different filename clearly stating the content of the file attachment (for example Passport, Licence copy etc.)

Submitting documents with the same filename may result in the loss of information in the system and added delays to the application assessment.

For questions relating to paperwork, such as how to obtain certified copies of documents, please refer to guidance on documentation.

Contact us

If you have any questions, please contact our licensing team

Email fclweb@caa.co.uk (preferred)

Phone 0330 022 1972 (Mon - Fri 08:30 - 16:30)