National approval, issued under the Air Navigation Order and covers design, manufacture, certification, maintenance, continuing airworthiness management and flight testing of aircraft excluded from UK Regulation (EU) 2018/1139, as amended, including those aircraft listed in Annex I (commonly referred to as Non-Part 21 aircraft).
- The organisation must already hold an approval issued by the CAA under the Air Navigation order.
How much does it cost?
- For cost information, please see: Airworthiness Application Charges
How long will it take for my application to be processed?
- Correctly completed applications will be processed, acknowledged and passed to the Regional Office for investigation within 10 working days.
- Approval certificates will be processed and dispatched within 20 working days following receipt of a recommendation from a CAA regional office.
How long is it valid for?
- Once approval is granted a biannual recommendation for continuation must be made by the CAA Surveyor.
- Approvals remain valid unless cancelled, suspended or revoked
- Requests to change open applications should be discussed with Applications and Approvals (A&A) in the first instance. In some cases a new application may be required. Please note that once the regional office has started the investigation, changes to the application cannot be considered.
- SRG 1741
- AD 461
- AD 458
- Declaration of organisation compliance for issue of Certificates of Validity
- CAP 553, BCAR regulations for approvals
- CAP 562, Leaflet C20 for information on requirements set for CAA approval of an organisation
- CAP 562, Leaflet 1-18 for information on changes of company name and company registration number
- CAP 747, for Non-Part 21 aircraft types
- UK Part 66 aircraft listing for State aircraft types
- Guidance when making an application for BCAR A8-23, A8-24 and A8-25 Approvals
- Payments can be made by credit or debit card or bank transfer or with a cheque made payable to the Civil Aviation Authority.
- When using bank transfer, it would be helpful if you could please identify what the payment is for by including your approval reference and receiving department.
- Completed form SRG 1741
- Relevant fee
- A completed organisation internal Audit Report (including objective evidence) to confirm the organisation is complaint and ready for the CAA audit
- Copy of Certificate of Incorporation from Companies House for company name changes
(not applicable if applicant is trading as an individual or partnership)
- Declaration of organisation compliance
(for applications for privilege to issue Certificates of Validity)
- A draft copy of the Company Exposition
- Company manual amendment
- Complete application form SRG 1741
- Send the completed form to Organisation Approvals team with the relevant fee and a copy of Certificate of Incorporation
- Organisation Approvals team will process the application and acknowledge within 10 working days
- Organisation Approvals team will forward a copy of the application to the local CAA regional office.
- A CAA regional office local to the applicant will contact them to discuss the investigation
- The applicant submits the Company Manual amendment and AD461 if applicable to the regional office Surveyor.
- The Surveyor may carry out an on-site audit and will follow this with a formal notification of all audit items that need corrective action
- The Surveyor will assess the company manual amendment.
- The applicant should address any audit findings and provide written notification of root cause and corrective action taken.
- The Surveyor will assess the organisation's proposed corrective actions. Actions will be discussed with the applicant if necessary and, when able to, the Surveyor will close the audit.
- When able to do so, the Surveyor will make a recommendation for the grant of the change to the approval. The recommendation will be sent to Organisation Approvals team.
- The Organisation Approvals team will issue the approval certificate and send original to the applicant.
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.