• EU exit

    Please note that, in the event of UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of licences and certificates ceasing, some CAA website content and application forms may continue to carry the EASA logo or reference the EU or EASA rather than the UK CAA in the short term.  These will be updated in due course following the outcome of the transition period negotiations on the long-term aviation relationship between the UK and the EU.  In the meantime, the guidance provided and the application forms accessed via the CAA website portal will continue to be valid.

  • Applying for a UK-issued EU medical certificate before 31 December 2020 by SOLI transfer

    This information is for pilots who hold a non-UK issued EU medical certificate and/or EU licence and who wish to obtain a medical certificate which will allow the UK CAA to issue an EU licence.  This means that the UK becomes the EU 'State of Licence issue' (SOLI).

    • Any ‘lower pilot licence’ e.g. PPL or LAPL licences held in another EASA member state will also have to be transferred as part of any SOLI change relating to a ‘higher licence’ e.g. CPL or ATPL issue in the UK. 

    According to the Aircrew and ATCO regulations, in order for the UK CAA’s Licensing Department to accept a change of State of Licence Issue (SOLI) transfer to the UK, the applicant’s aeromedical records must be held in the UK regardless of UK residence or UK employment.

    The UK CAA will not accept transfers of medical records that do not come directly from the medical department of the licensing authority of the state that currently issues/oversees the licence with a form verified and signed by a medical assessor of that state’s licensing authority.

    Please note: The UK CAA has been advised by the German Authority (LBA) that, due to German national law concerning Data Protection, the LBA are unable to facilitate the transfer of pilot medical records from Germany to other States.  It is therefore not possible to proceed with transfers of State of Licence Issue from Germany (LBA) to the UK (UK CAA).  The only exception to the above may be where the LBA does hold the complete record for a recent applicant (after July 2016) and can make the full record available and provide a transfer form properly verified and signed by a medical assessor of the LBA.
    Please note that German pilots’ licences are fully valid in all EASA member States.

    The process

    You must hold an appropriate EU medical certificate before the CAA can issue a UK EU licence.  The procedure to gain a UK EU medical certificate depends on the type of medical certificate and/or licence you already hold and is shown in this application flowchart

    Please note that only one EU medical certificate may be held at any one time.

    If you have a current non-UK medical certificate, we require confirmation from the Medical Department of the EASA member state that issued your initial medical certificate that you have no serious medical problems.  

    You can do this by downloading a Change of State of Licence Issue (SOLI) form and sending it to the medical department that issued your initial medical certificate or licence. They should complete the form ensuring it is signed and stamped by a Medical Assessor.

    The form should be sent to us by the Medical Assessor and should also include the following:

    • Copy of earliest available medical application and examination report forms
    • All SOLI forms (and supporting documents) from previous transfers
    • Summary of medical history (see below) with supporting aeromedical assessments & clinical reports
    • Copy of latest electrocardiogram (class 1 & 3 only)
    • Copy of current medical certificate and supporting application and examination report forms. 

    Please note: The only language accepted is English – forms and documents not in English will not be accepted (any translations required and costs incurred for translations are the responsibility of the applicant). 

    You will be required to pay an administration fee of £105, this can be paid by completing the payment form and sending it to us or you may telephone us to make a credit/debit card payment.

    When applying for a Change of State of licence issue please ensure you complete both the SOLI application form SRG1202 and the Part-FCL transfer form SRG2150.

    Please ensure you provide all additional documents requested and submit the relevant fees.