• EU exit

    Please note that, in the event of UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of licences and certificates ceasing, some CAA website content and application forms may continue to carry the EASA logo or reference the EU or EASA rather than the UK CAA in the short term. 

    These will be updated in due course following the outcome of the transition period negotiations on the long-term aviation relationship between the UK and the EU.  In the meantime, the guidance provided and the application forms accessed via the CAA website portal will continue to be valid.

  • Pre-Requisites

    You must hold a type rated existing Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence and have been exercising Category B1/B2 privileges for 3 years or more.

    You will be required to provide an EASA approved Part 145 company maintenance authorisation on a type endorsed on the Part 66 Licence held for a minimum of 3 years.

    • 3 years of experience exercising category B1.1, B1.3 or B2 privileges on large aircraft 
    • 5 years experience of exercising category B1.2 or B1.4 privileges on large aircraft.

    • 3 years of experience exercising category B1 or B2 privileges on other than large aircraft
  • The recommendation document will need to be completed by a Quality Manager or the immediate senior person within the Quality Department of your current employer, or the organisation where the experience is gained.

    NB: If you are applying for a change of name and or nationality you will be required to supply evidence in support of your request, e.g. change of name deed poll/marriage certificate/valid passport.

    How much does it cost?

    • £137.00

    The above service will also incur a Rolling Renewal fee. To calculate this fee you will need to have the expiry date of your current Licence to hand when completing the online application form. The expiry date is normally found on page 6 of 8 of your current Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence, depending on the size of your Licence.

    If you are applying for any other additional services the appropriate fee will also apply.

    An additional fee will be payable if you wish your documents to be returned by secure courier.

    Full details are available in the current Scheme of Charges (Personnel licensing).

  • Same day services

    Same day, special delivery and other customised services are available at an additional cost. This service is on request, which should be made at the time of initial application. Documents are worked to a same day turnaround from receipt of customer request by 11:00 to completion of the processing of the application by 16:30 on the same working day. The customer will be able to collect the documents by 16:30 on the same day or the documents shall be sent by Royal Mail special delivery, where this is included in the service.

    View same day, special and customised delivery charges

    How long is it valid for?

    • The UK Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.
    • Application for Initial Issue, Amendment or Renewal of an Engineer Licence (Form 19)
    • Certified true copy of your valid passport, EAA/EU National Identity Card or full Photographic Driving Licence certified by your Quality Manager.
    • For existing licence holders your original Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance licence will need to be submitted with any application for amendment or renewal of an engineer's licence.
    • Certified true copy of your company authorisation to support 3 years of exercising the privileges of the B1/B2 Licence holder which has been certified by your Quality Manager.
    • The Recommendation attachment ensuring that it has been completed by your Quality Manager in support of your application.
    • If applying for change of name and or nationality a certified true copy by your Quality Manager of the supporting document e.g. your valid passport/change of name deed poll/marriage certificate.

    Note - The CAA does have the right to request the return of the original Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence at any point of your application.


  • Once all of the requirements have been met, please complete:

    • SRG 1014 (if applying using a paper form)
    • Online application

      The application, supporting documents and original licence should be posted to:

      Civil Aviation Authority
      Aviation House
      Licensing Assessment Team
      Beehive Ring Road
      West Sussex 
      RH6 0YR

    • The assessment of your application is completed by a Licensing Officer and technical standards surveyor.
    • Following an acceptable assessment the Licence is then processed, signed and dispatched to the individual.
    • We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending for 30 working days awaiting any additional documentation to be submitted.
    • A refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application.  This will also be applied if you choose to cancel your application.