We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

Experience requirements, flight instruction and theoretical knowledge training

To qualify for a touring motor glider (TMG) class rating, you must complete an appropriate training course at an approved training organisation (ATO) or registered training facility (RTF).


To revalidate the rating you must complete the following:

  • Pass a proficiency check in a touring motor glider with an examiner. The proficiency check must take place within the 3 months immediately before the rating’s expiry date; or
  • 12 hours of flight time in a touring motor glider within the 12 months preceding the rating’s expiry date, including the following:
    • 6 hours as pilot-in-command (PIC)
    • 12 take-offs and landings
    • a training flight of at least 1 hour with a flight instructor or a class rating instructor. If you have already completed a proficiency check or skill test in another type or class of aeroplane, you will not have to complete this training flight

Note: If you hold valid ratings written on your licence for both TMG and SEP, when you revalidate you may use the same flight time for both and ensure both ratings are signed up.

Revalidation by experience

If you are revalidating your TMG by experience and are flying in a European Member State, please note that Certificate of Revalidation held on a licence issued by the UK cannot be endorsed by a non-UK EASA examiner.

TMG revalidation by experience can only be signed in a UK issued licence by an examiner holding a valid UK issued Part-FCL examiner certificate or a Flight Instructor with the privileges of FCL.945.