We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings below, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

This validation allows you to fly for remuneration on non-commercial operations or commercial air transport or other commercial activities, using your ICAO licence.

Who needs to apply?

Holders of an ICAO licence who wish to be paid for activities such as:

  • Non-commercial operations defined under Part-NCC
  • Filming
  • Crop spraying
  • Commercial Air Transport


You must hold:

  • a valid and current ICAO licence and medical (this means a valid licence, with a valid rating with a valid medical certificate)
  • any class or type ratings you intend to fly with this validation must also be current and valid

The aircraft you intend to fly must be registered in the UK


The operator’s principal place of business must be in the UK

Skill test

You must complete a skill test that comprises of the type or class revalidation requirements. You can complete your skill test with an authorised UK or non-UK examiner under Part-FCL.

If using the services of a non-UK authorised examiner, the examiner must notify the CAA of the test in advance at testnotification@caa.co.uk, and have read the Examiners Differences Document, and IN 2016/003.

Language proficiency

You will need to demonstrate language proficiency, and this must be tested by a UK examiner. If you don’t pass your language proficiency test, you will need to attend an ATO approved by us.


You will need to obtain a Part MED Class One Medical Certificate


Validity period

One year.

The applicant must enter a Part-FCL course in order to obtain a Part-FCL licence BEFORE the validation expires if the validation is to be extended.

The validation can only be extended once and beforeit expires.

What else do I need to know?

Read CAP1442

What do I need to include with my application?

  • Application form SRG2134 with supporting documentation
  • Appropriate examiner report following completion of skill test
  • ID ( certified copy of passport)
  • Letter of verification from the issuing authority of the pilot’s licence (you will need to contact your issuing authority to get this).
  • Logbook evidence, which must be sent either as: original logbooks (preferred), or certified copies of your logbook pages

Please make sure all attachments are in PDF format. Any evidence deemed unsuitable will delay your application being processed.

How to apply

Once all of the requirements above have been met, the application should be submitted by email to the address below.

Contact us


Provide page feedback

Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. UK Civil Aviation Authority update on ATOL Reform consultation
  2. 2022 quarter one flight data
  3. Continued focus on change for GA Team

View all latest news