We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

This page contains materials for making an application for an airline licence, including application forms, guidance publications and information about additional Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) services which will help you make your application.

How do I apply?

We encourage any applicant for an airline licence to contact us at the earliest opportunity. Airline licensing can be complex and the amount of work that needs to be done will be different depending on the exact situation of each applicant.

The most straightforward way of getting started with your application is to get in touch with us at airlinelicensing@caa.co.uk and request a pre application meeting.

Applications for airline licensing can be made using the following forms, and we recommend you contact us before filling them in:

Completed forms should be emailed to airlinelicensing@caa.co.uk.

Close How do I apply?

How much does it cost?

The cost of a licence depends on the type applied for and the type of aircraft being used.

Details are set out in the Scheme of Charges (Operating and Air Transport Licenses, Foreign Registered Aircraft Operating Permits and Scarce Capacity Allocation Certificates). The Airline Licensing Team can also confirm the costs when you discuss your application when them.

Close How much does it cost?

What do I need to send with my application?

Given that each application is unique and considered on a case-by-case basis the required information will be discussed as part of the pre-application meeting.

Close What do I need to send with my application?

What else do I need to know?

The Airline Licensing pages also provide information about the different kinds of licences that are available and the basic requirements for each one.

Insurance calculator

Our online calculator will help you assess what minimum level of insurance you need to qualify for a licence. The results can be used as a guide but are only estimates and the true level will be set by us in the course of your application.

Aviation Intelligence consultancy service

We collect data on air traffic within the UK, much of which is available for free on our website. We also offer a data query and analysis service to assist with traffic forecasting, route development, competitor analysis and understanding of the economics of air travel. Further information can be found in the data and analysis section.

Close What else do I need to know?

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

All applications are considered as soon as possible although the need to consult with others, such as the Department for Transport, UK Border Force and Aviation Security partners, and varying entitlement to traffic rights means that scheduled applications are treated on a case-by-case basis and a timeline indicated only on application.

The licensing team will discuss realistic timelines for consideration at the pre-application meeting based on the unique circumstance of the proposed application, and will keep the applicant updated on progress.

Close How long will it take for my application to be processed?

What happens next?

We will be in touch with you to confirm the outcome of your application.

Close What happens next?

How long is it valid for?

Once granted an Operating or Route Licence will remain in force until it is surrendered or revoked.

Company particulars

Once an airline operating licence has been approved, we must be notified of the following on an ongoing basis:

  • Type A Operating Licence holders must submit an updated Company Particulars form to the CAA every six months.
  • Type B Operating Licence holders must submit an updated Company Particulars form to the CAA once every year.

Change of ownership

Holders of either type of Operating Licence are required to advise us within 14 days of any change affecting the ownership of the licence holder and/or its parent or ultimate holding company.

Close How long is it valid for?