- Organisations should have their principal place of business in the UK
- Organisations with their principal place of business located outside the UK should apply for a UK Third Country Approval.
Organisations needing to change a Registered Company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Number will require a new initial approval as it cannot be classed as a change to an existing approval.
See CAP 562, Leaflet C-30 for further information.
How much does it cost?
See the Official Record Series 5, CAA Scheme of Charges.
If you apply for an initial approval with multiple ratings under the same approval type, you must include a payment relating to the charge for the highest rating applied for e.g. a Part 147 application for ratings T1, T2 and C would attract a single charge for the highest rating, being the T1, as per the Scheme of Charges.
In the event of a discrepancy between the information here and the Official Record Series 5, CAA Scheme of Charges (Airworthiness, Noise Certification and Aircraft and Aircraft Engine Emissions), the Scheme of Charges takes precedence.
How long will it take for my application to be processed?
- When the Organisation Approvals team receive the recommendation from Airworthiness confirming the organisation has achieved the required standard, the approval certificates will be raised and sent to your organisation within 20 working days.
How long is it valid for?
- Once granted a Part 147 approval requires a recommendation for continuation every 24 months from date of initial issue. This is raised by the CAA Surveyor following a satisfactory audit programme.
- Continuing Airworthiness Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014 as retained (and amended in UK domestic law) under the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018
- CAP 562 - Leaflet C-30 - 'CAA Approvals - Non-Transferability'
- CAP 1528 - Guidance for Part 147 Instructors
- CAP 1529 - Aircraft maintenance type practical training within a UK Part 147 Organisation
- UK regulations
- Guidance for Part 147 holders
Initial requirements for organisation (not including a course)
- A completed application form submitted by an Authorised Representative of the Company e.g. the proposed Accountable Manager.
(Aircraft ratings should be listed as per Part-66 Appendix 1 listing. At this time the Part 66 listing does not include Sailplanes, Powered Sailplanes or Balloons. In this case use the aircraft type designation specified on the Type Certificate Data Sheet.)
- CAA Form 4 for key personnel i.e. Quality Manager. Additional Form 4's may be requested by your allocated CAA surveyor.
- A draft copy of the Maintenance Training Organisation Exposition (MTOE) developed from EASA User Guide UG.CAO.0014
- A completed MTOA compliance checklist
- A completed SRG 1760 form (Principal Place of Business Key Facts form) if your organisation is trading as a registered company
- A completed organisation internal Audit Report (including objective evidence) to confirm the organisation is complaint and ready for the CAA audit
- Copy of the companies 'Certificate of Incorporation' if your organisation is trading as a registered compan
- Payment of the relevant fee
Initial requirements for a course (in addition to the above)
CAA course approval forms
The course approval forms (formally known as SF forms) are templates for organisations to provide the CAA an overview breakdown of the course content.
This will be supported with detailed information in a training needs analysis (TNA) document.
Course approval forms are shown below:
- SF98-02 Course Approval B2 Basic
- SF99-02 Course Approval B1.1 & A1 Basic
- SF100-02 Course Approval B1.2 & A2 Basic
- SF101-02 Course Approval B1.3 & A3 Basic
- SF102-02 Course Approval C Type
- SF103-02 Course Approval B1.4 & A4 Basic
- SF104-02 Course Approval B1.1 & B2 Type
- SF105-02 Course Approval B1.1 Type
- SF106-02 Course Approval B1.2 & B2 Type
- SF107-02 Course Approval B1.2 Type
- SF108-02 Course Approval B1.3 B2 Type
- SF109-02 Course Approval B1.3 Type
- SF110-02 Course Approval B1.4 Type
- SF111-02 Course Approval B1.4 & B2 Type
- SF112-02 Course Approval B2 Type
- A completed CAA Regulation (EU) No 376/2014 Compliance Checklist
- A completed organisation internal audit report (including objective evidence) to confirm the organisation is compliant to applicable regulation
- Training needs analysis developed from user guides and guidance material on the EASA Part 147 webpage
- Sample of Training Material
- Sample of Examinations and Answers
- Instructor/Assessor Competency records; providing details of experience, qualification and recency of B1/B2 instructors, practical assessors in support of the new course.
- A completed organisation internal Audit Report (including objective evidence) to confirm the organisation is complaint and ready for the CAA audit of the new course.
- Details of access to aircraft for maintenance training and hands on maintenance task training as applicable which is sufficient to meet the requirement of Part 66, Appendix III, para 3.2 for the aircraft type.
- B1/B2 type specific practical training workbook in support of the change application (if applicable).
- An e-mail to confirm your provisional Part 147 approval number normally within 10 working days.
- The CAA Resource Management Team will contact you to arrange for a Surveyor to carry out an on-site audit
- Any questions regarding the scheduling of your on site visit can be directed to the Resource Management Team at 01293 573600.
- An Airworthiness Surveyor will conduct an audit against the requirements and any audit findings will be raised in an audit report.
- The Airworthiness Surveyor will review the nominated personnel. Interviews for key personnel may be carried out.
- If findings have been raised, the organisation should address all the findings and notify the Surveyor of the actions taken
- Once any audit findings relating to the initial application have been closed the Airworthiness Surveyor will submit a recommendation to Organisation Approvals Team for the issue of the approval
- Your organisation can conduct training once you receive the certificate
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.