The groups of aircraft operating on a BCAR A3-7 Permit to Fly that require an approved programme are:
- any aircraft with an engine (single) horsepower of greater than 450 hp
- any aircraft with multiple piston engines
- any aircraft with a turbine engine (single or multiple)
- any aircraft classified as complex (BCAR A8-25 Supplement 2)
- any aircraft operated in accordance with an approval issued by the CAA
This application process is applicable to:
- the direct approval of maintenance programmes by the CAA
- the notification of indirectly approved maintenance programmes by UK BCAR A8-25 approved organisations (holding the necessary privileges)
Applicants will need to prepare and provide the documents and information listed under the 'How to apply' section below.
How much does it cost?
No charge applies if the application is supported by an organisation holding a BCAR A8-25 approval
The cost for making an application directly to the CAA for the approval of an aircraft maintenance schedule or programme which is based on or different to the military publications or aircraft manufacturer's recommended schedule or programme is in accordance with the CAA Airworthiness Scheme of Charges section on 'Approval of aircraft maintenance schedules or programmes'.
In the case of any discrepancies, the Official Record Series 5, CAA Scheme of Charges (Airworthiness, Noise Certification and Aircraft and Aircraft Engine Emissions) will be applied.
How long will it take for my application to be processed?
The CAA will begin assessment within 10 working days and approval will be granted when the programme satisfactorily addresses the relevant requirements.
How long is it valid for?
The programme will remain approved unless suspended, cancelled or revoked.
How do I apply and what should I include with my application?
UK Continuing Airworthiness Maintenance Organisations A8-25 CAMO
How to make an initial / amendment / temporary amendment application for a maintenance programme approval, (including both direct and indirect approvals).
- Complete form SRG 1766 and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The CAA Shared Service Centre will review the application and allocate to the applicant a CAA maintenance programme number reference, informing the applicant by return e-mail (format MP/xxx/xx)
- Applicant completes the maintenance programme submission by sending complete document by e-mail to email@example.com (using CAP 1740 as guidance), The programme submission should include the CAA assigned reference number in all correspondence
- The CAA will assess the programme and when satisfied that it meets the applicable requirements will email confirmation of the programme approval / acknowledgement*
* Direct approval will be carried out by CAA, indirect approval the applicant will receive an acknowledgement letter from SSC.
Form SRG 1766 acts as a single form, for Permit to Fly aircraft only, it is an application and checklist combined. SRG 1766 allows the applicant to confirm if the programme is to be approved directly by the CAA or indirectly by A8-25 CAMO (with appropriate privileges) and/or whether the submission is an amendment to an existing programme.