We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

What is it?

An exemption under Article 71(1) of UK Regulation (EU) 2018/1139 (the UK Basic Regulation) permits flight in the UK airspace in case of urgent operational needs or urgent unforeseeable circumstances.

Who can apply?

The aircraft owner, maintenance organisation, continuing airworthiness management organisation or any individual authorised to act on the aircraft owner’s behalf.

You can apply as long as the aircraft is registered in the UK.

If you’re an organisation you need to have a UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) approval for exemption requests against organisational requirements.

How do I apply?

Complete and submit your application form. You will need one form for each exemption request.

What do I need to include with my application?

The information below advises on what you will need to include with your application:

  • your form completed online
  • your fee
  • why you are applying:
    • urgent unforeseeable circumstances
    • urgent operational needs 
  • justifications for the maintained level of safety
  • full details of the reason you're applying
  • any supporting documents
    • Type Certificate Holder (TCH) documentation
    • copy of Airworthiness Directive
  • rectification plan

If you need an exemption for a fleet of aircraft, we need you to tell the CAA the aircraft type.

If you are applying for a repeat exemption, you need to provide your previous exemption number.

How much does it cost?

The cost to apply for an exemption under Article 71 is £1031.00. The Scheme of Charges provides further details.

How long will it take to be processed?

As long as you give us all the required information, you should be issued your exemption in 10 working days after we receive it.

How long is it valid for?

Validity is assessed on a case-by-case basis.

What happens next?

Once you have paid and submitted your form, your application will be passed for assessment.

At this stage, you may be contacted for further supporting information.

If you are granted the exemption, you will receive a letter and exemption approval.

Close What happens next?