We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

Group Ownership is a straightforward way to register an aircraft which has several individual owners.

Jointly owned aircraft can be registered in the name of each individual owner, but in cases where there are three or more individual owners of an aircraft it is recommended that you form a group of co-ownership syndicate for the purposes of registration. In this way, any member may leave or join the group without the need to re-register the aircraft every time (which would incur a fee).

One or two of the owners must be nominated as trustee(s) of the group. If a trustee leaves the group or ceases to act as trustee, the aircraft must be re-registered.

Please note that 'non-equity' groups cannot be registered in this way as the group members do not hold any ownership of the aircraft itself. In this case, the aircraft should be registered to the owner.

In addition to the usual application process, a group must supply details of its members

Standard registration procedure

For full details of the usual application process, see the register an aircraft or change of ownership page.

Additional information required from groups

The trustee of a group must supply a fill list of names, addresses, nationalities and percentage shareholdings of the group members using a Trustee Grid form. This must be submitted along with the registration application.

The CAA must be advised by the trustee as soon as any members leave or join the group, which can done by submitting an updated Trustee Grid form by post or email.