• As of 1 April 2021, a new licence application process will be available to pilots, instructors and examiners who previously held a UK issued Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL Licence. A similar process will also apply to EASA licence holders whose licence date of initial issue is prior to 31 December 2020. This process will remain in place until December 2022. 

    Previous UK Licence Holders

    The CAA understands that there are a number of pilots who transferred their licences to an EASA Member State before 31 December 2020, however their EASA Flight Crew Licence has been issued after 1 January 2021. 

    The following will apply in these instances

    • Pilots that have their EASA Flight Crew Licence issued, will be able to apply using this process from 1 April,
    • Pilots that are midway through the transfer to an EASA Flight Crew Licence to be issued, will also be able to follow the process below, to obtain a UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL licence, once their EASA Flight Crew Licence has been issued. 

    To allow these pilots to continue operating UK-registered aircraft, the CAA has issued a Validation to grant such pilots who obtain their EASA licence between 1 January 2021 and 31 March 2021 the ability to do so. As such, these pilots will be able to follow the below process to obtain a UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL.

    If you hold a non-UK CAA EASA licence or have transferred your licence to a EASA member state and wish to operate G-reg aircraft, please refer to our UK-EU transition microsite for information on how to do so. The general validations can be found on the Downloads page.


    Medical records supporting UK Part-MED certificate must be held on the United Kingdom CAA Medical Records System. 

    Applying for a UK medical certificate if you have SOLI transferred from the UK 

    How to apply

    Applicants will need to submit an application for the UK Part-FCL via the CAA’s e-Licensing system. For applicants unable to apply by this system, an online application form will be made available.

    Applicants for a UK National licence, wishing to operate non-Part 21 aircraft, are required to submit their request in writing by e-mail to fclweb@caa.co.uk (Subject heading: “National licence”).

  • Applicants who have previously applied for a privilege via e-Licensing when they have previously held a UK issued Part-FCL(A) and/or Part-FCL(H) licence that was transferred to an EASA member state which issued their Part-FCL licence certificate prior to the EASA-UK transition period on 31 December 2020 should submit their application via this system otherwise your application may be delayed or cancelled. 

    We strongly recommend all commercial pilots who are eligible apply via this route.

    The form can be accessed by selecting 'EU UK Part-FCL A and H: EU to UK Part-FCL' service within the Licence Products section in your account. 

    The following documents are required to be uploaded to support the application:

    • A certified copy of your passport
    • A certified copy of your Part-FCL licence
    • A certified copy of your Part-FCL Examiner/Instructor certificate (if applicable)

    How to get copies of your documents certified.

    Please note: e-Licensing is currently unavailable to holders of private pilot licences and examiner certificates.

    Unfortunately, this route is also not available to pilots that have never held a UK issued Flight Crew Licence or to previous UK licence holders that hold an Instructor and/or Examiners licensing certificate in addition to your flight crew licence. 

    Should you be in these categories, please apply using the Avoka online application route.

    Applicants unable to submit their application via the e-Licensing system must use our Online Application form (SRG2158). If you are eligible to use the e-Licensing system, you must do so to avoid your application being delayed or cancelled.

    Applicants selecting this application method are required to upload the following documents to support the application:

    • A certified copy of your passport 
    • A certified copy of your EASA Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL licence
    • A certified copy of your EASA Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL Examiner/Instructor certificate (if applicable)

    How to get copies of your documents certified.


    Special guidance for 'Current & expired Examiners / Instructors privileges' section on the Online form

    'Type endorsed' is the type you hold the certificate for, e.g. SEP/MEP

    'Privileges' field requires the privileges as per Part-FCL and shown on page 4 of your licence, e.g. FCL.1005.FE applies, (a)(1), (a)(2), (a)(3). 

  • The fee

    An administration fee is payable for verifying your licensing privileges with the issuing authority of your non-UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL licence, in addition to the relevant licence/certificate fee.

    Please see our Licensing fees and costs (full details are available in Scheme of Charges (Personnel Licensing)).

    An additional fee applies if you would like your documents returned by secure courier.

    Making sure your documents are safely returned.

    Processing time

    Once the CAA is in receipt of your application, this will be added to the workflow and processed in strict date order. Due to the nature of this application process, in conjunction with the two-year recognition period, it will not be bound by our standard SLA.

    Following the initial assessment, a request will be sent to your EU NAA for verification of the EASA Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL licence, and for confirmation of any current enforcement or revocation action.

    Only once we are in receipt of the verification, and your UK medical has been issued, a UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL will be issued.

    As this application requires that your EASA licence details are verified by the EU NAA that issued your non-UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL licence, we are reliant on the cooperation and turnaround of the other authority.

    EU-UK examiner and instructor privilege conversion

    Guidance for examiners and instructors applying for a UK Part-FCL

    Conversion of National and Restricted Ratings

    The UK CAA is unable to convert any National Ratings held on Non-UK EU Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL Licences. Additionally, we cannot issue ratings that are restricted to specific countries or airlines, and these will not be endorsed on the UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL.

    What will be issued on the UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL Licence

    All privileges endorsed on your licence at the time of transfer from the UK will be endorsed onto the UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL licence. Any additional privileges from the EU Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL will also be endorsed onto the UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL, excluding any National or Restricted Ratings. Any valid ratings will be annotated on the certificate of revalidation, with any expired ratings being removed to the back of the licence.

    How to upload documents correctly

    All documents should be uploaded with a different filename clearly stating the content of the file attachment for example Passport, Licence copy etc. 

    Submitting documents with the same filename may result in the loss of information in the system and added delays to the application assessment. 

    Contact us

    Applicants are now able to receive an automated update on the status of your application, and you can do so by sending an email to application.status@caa.co.uk. In the subject line, please type the word RTN and in the main body of the email please type your licence reference number. Please remove all other text from the email before sending. 

    If you have any questions please contact our licensing team, preferably via email:

    Flight crew: Email fclweb@caa.co.uk 

    Instructors: Email instructors@caa.co.uk

    Examiners: Email examiners@caa.co.uk

    Phone 0330 022 1972 (Mon - Fri 08:30 - 16:30)