UKCAA Examinations Update – August 2021
From 16 August restrictions will be eased for candidates attending examinations at Aviation House.
Please see the section below for details, and follow the invigilators’ instruction.
To ensure compliance with government mandated social distancing requirements and other health and safety measures, we are remaining at reduced capacity.
We are working hard to minimise the impact of any changes and where possible these changes are being made in consultation with Approved Training Organisations (ATOs) but ultimately amendments will be at sole discretion of the CAA. Any travel and related expenses incurred by the candidate to attend any CAA examination will not be refundable if an examination is amended due to Covid-19 restrictions.
When attending your examinations, you must adhere to all CAA policies in addition to any specific policy of host organisation or venue. Please ensure that you pay close attention to the required and permitted items for your examination as stated on your confirmation. Please note that a face covering must be worn at all venues and throughout your examination.
Some venues still require proof of a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours before you sit your exams. If you do not provide this, you will not be able to sit your exams.
Please see the current policies of different ATOs below:
- Bristol Ground School – All candidates attending Bristol Ground School (BGS) must adhere to BGS policies before arriving for exams, including receiving a negative COVID-19 test result. Please contact BGS directly for any COVID-19 concerns.
- Skyborne, Gloucester – All candidate attending Skyborne Aviation Academy must adhere to Skyborne’s policies before arriving for exams and have completed a negative COVID-19 test result. Please contact Skyborne directly for any COVID-19 concerns.
- CATS, Luton – All candidates attending CATS, Luton must adhere to CATS policies before arriving for exams.
- L3 Harris, Crawley – Please contact L3 Harris directly for any COVID-19 concerns.
- Ayrshire College, Ayrshire – Please contact the college directly for any COVID-19 concerns.
- Rosyth Business Centre, Pathway Pilot Training – All candidates attending Rosyth Business Centre for examinations must adhere to the COVID-19 policy and risk assessment.
Attending theoretical knowledge examinations at Aviation House, Gatwick
In accordance with government guidelines we have made some changes to reflect the easing of restrictions from the 16 August 2021.
Access to Aviation House is remaining strictly controlled. Capacity limitations also remain in place for both CAA staff and visitors. Unauthorised access is not permitted.
Visitors to Aviation House are asked to install the NHS Covid-19 App.
Please see the NHS website for further information. You will be asked to use the in-app feature to check in to Aviation House using the QR code displayed at the entrance to the building. You then switch your mobile phone off and store it as instructed by the invigilator.
Access to the Building
- You cannot enter the building before 8.30am, if you are sitting a 9.00am exam please stay in your vehicle until then. Please pay close attention to the required and permitted items detailed on your exam booking confirmation.
- For sessions later in the day please wait at the front door 30 minutes before the scheduled exam start time.
- You must leave the building immediately after you have completed your exam, you cannot stay in the building between exams. The waiting area is only to be used for a short period before each exam, there is no study/waiting area or access to wi-fi.
- There are no refreshments available on site except water.
Exam Requirements (as listed on your exam confirmation)
- Lockers are now reinstated and strictly controlled. Please follow the invigilators instructions on accessing these. We thoroughly recommend to only bring essential and permitted items into the building, leave coats, bags, study notes, PC’s etc in your car.
- You must wear a plain unmarked face covering / mask for the entire time whilst in the building, you may remove this once your exam has commenced. We recommend that this is a plain unmarked FFP2 face mask. You will be refused entry if you do not wear a face covering.
- Candidates must provide their own writing equipment - clear plastic pen (bic biro type) and eraser tipped pencil.
- There will be some changes to the normal exam procedures, your invigilator will guide you through them via the briefing. Please listen carefully even if you have sat exams with us before.
E-exams: register and book an exam
Before sitting any Licensing examination, candidates are required to read all of the documents contained in the 'Candidate Examination Guidance' section on this page.
Candidate examination guidance
- exam schedule (national and international)
- Supplied, approved and prohibited items
- Terms and conditions of e-Exams service use
- Guide to taking e-exams (pdf)
- Notice to candidates
- Conduct at examination venues
- Information about technical review requests
If you have any queries relating to examinations, please email email@example.com.
Please see below to view details of the exam format.
Please refer to your examination confirmation e-mail for specific items for each examination.
Supplied, approved and prohibited items
- Rough working paper
- Essay exam answer paper (Essay Modules only)
- Pencil case (please note you will have to bring your own writing equipment as per booking confirmation)
- Mobile phone
- Recording or communication equipment/devices
Limitations, conversions and BCAR section L exams
The e-Exam system has a number of part module exams available for candidates to sit, see Products.
These cover the most common limitation removal scenarios:
- limitation 1 and 9,
- limitation 6
- limitation 10 and 11.
We are able to provide limitation removal exams for all limitations not listed above on a case by case basis.
They are available as 'on request' e-Exams; when you are registered for an e-Exams service please contact
AML-eExams@caa.co.ukif you have a specific examination requirement not listed in the available exams (Products).
The CAA maintains the capability to deliver BCAR section L written examinations for BCAR Section L Licence holders.
These examinations are delivered on a case by case basis as paper based examinations.
They are available on request; when you are registered for an e-Exams service please contact
Technical review requests
Candidates and Approved Training Organisations (ATOs) may raise concerns or challenge the accuracy and effectiveness of an examination question, paper, or supporting materials. The CAA thoroughly reviews all such instances via the following two protocols and results may be amended where genuine issues are identified.
To maintain the integrity and effectiveness of the examination content.
- routine review of all presented questions,
- statistical analysis,
- trend monitoring of question results,
- a review of all candidate comments.
Candidates are able to make comments during an examination.
Entering a comment during the examination does not constitute a Full Review but every comment is reviewed by the CAA.
A candidate can request a Full Review which is a comprehensive investigation into the accuracy and integrity of examination content and materials delivered to the candidate during a specific test.
- The Full Review must be formally instructed by the candidate by requesting a "Review" in their results portal page.
- It must be requested within 14 calendar days of the examination in question.
The full examination review fee should be paid by the candidate at the time of request , which is fully refundable if an error is found and the candidate marks are adjusted accordingly.
The CAA endeavours to complete this service within 10 working days of receipt of the request. A message notification, explaining the findings and closing actions will be added to the 'User Messages' area in the candidate e-Exam portal.
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.