We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

Range control licences are granted under the Space Industry Act 2018 (SIA).

This licence allows a person or organisation to provide range control services in support of licensed spaceflight activities at a designated range.

A range is a zone or zones that are subject to restrictions, exclusions, or warnings. This is to make sure that they are clear of persons or things that might pose a hazard to spaceflight activities or be exposed to a hazard from the activity.

How do I apply?

We encourage you to speak to us before you apply. You can book a pre-application meeting; to discuss your proposed operation and timescales. During pre-application we can advise on the detail of the SIA and discuss the requirements you need to fulfil as part of your application.

You should read the Guidance for Range Control licence applicants and licensees and Applying for a licence under the space industry act 2018.

To apply please complete our online application form

Close How do I apply?

How much does it cost?

There is no charge for a range control licence.

Close How much does it cost?

What do I need to send with my application?

As part of your application, we assess your technical resources. You will need to provide evidence that you have:

  • identified the range control services to be covered by the licence
  • the right people, processes and equipment to provide the specified range control services
  • made appropriate arrangements for coordination with other licence holders or stakeholders

You will also need to provide a draft security programme and cyber security strategy with security/cyber risk assessments.

Close What do I need to send with my application?

What else do I need to know?

In addition to technical resources, we assess your application against five other legislative tests:

  • international obligations
  • national security
  • national interest
  • financial resources
  • fit and proper persons

Information on the details you will need to provide to enable us to assess your application against these tests is set out in the Regulator's Licensing Rules (CAP 2221).

You can find even more information on our guidance and resources page.

Close What else do I need to know?

What happens next?

  • You will be assigned a case manager who will be your main point of contact through the assessment and be with you every step of the way.
  • We complete an initial screen of your application documents to make sure you have provided everything we need to carry out our assessment.
  • When we have all the documents, we need we will assess your application in detail. When we have further questions for you, our regulatory ‘clock’ will stop on the assessment until you provide the information required for us to continue.
  • Any licence we grant will include conditions with which you must comply. To show compliance, you may need to send us information for example, details of any tests or rehearsals you conduct. We may also choose to carry out inspections of your sites.
Close What happens next?

How long is it valid for?

Your licence will not expire but can be revoked, varied or suspended by the CAA.

Close How long is it valid for?