We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings below, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

From April 2018 it will be mandatory to hold a Part FCL licence to fly EASA Sailplanes.

Holders of existing BGA Glider Certificate should contact the BGA directly regarding conversion to a Part FCL sailplane licence from either a LAPL(S) or SPL. This includes any associated ratings, such as sailplane towing ratings, that are being added to the LAPL(S) or SPL at the time of licence issues.

For information on adding a sailplane towing rating to an Aeroplane licence, such as a Part FCL PPL(A), please see our guidance on Sailplane towing ratings.

Some pilots may have held licences in other member states but are required by European Commission Regulation (EU) No. 1178/2011 as amended, to have all of their licences administered by the National Aviation Authority that holds their medical records (Part MED.A.030 and Part FCL.015) and require the UK CAA to issue a sailplane licence or add a sailplane towing rating to a licence.

In these cases you must ensure that you meet the conversion requirements for the state that originally issued the licence. Once thisis confirmed you should apply to us and arrange for the National Aviation Authority to contact us directly confirming that you meet the requirements of their conversion report, with details of what that State would issue and any remarks and privileges they would annotate the rating on the licence.


Please refer to the BGA website in respect of BGA Glider conversions.

To convert glider privileges issued by another member state you must hold a UK issued licence in another category and meet the requirements as detailed above. If you do not already hold any licence with the UK CAA, but have changed your competent state for your medical to the UK CAA making this the first licence you hold with us, please follow the change of state process, but completing form and meeting the requirements of SRG1136.


Please see the BGA website for information on BGA glider conversions.

The fee will vary according to your circumstances. For example, whether you already hold a UK licence, and whether that licence has already been converted to an EASA-FCL licence, or if your application will be made at the same time as applying for something else.

Validity period

The licences are valid for life, subject to recency and medical requirements being maintained.

How to apply

  • If you are applying for a LAPL(S) or SPL on the basis of a BGA certificate, then you should contact the BGA directly.
  • If you are not applying for a LAPL(S) or SPL on the basis of a BGA certificate, then please submit application form SRG 1104.
  • If applying for an additional rating, then please submit application form SRG 2157. You will also need to provide a certified copy of your Certificate of Revalidation page from licence, and evidence showing that you meet the conversion requirements as stated in CAP804, Section 4, part P.

Contact us

Shared Services
Civil Aviation Authority
Aviation House
Beehive Ring Road
West Sussex

Email: fclweb@caa.co.uk

Provide page feedback

Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. UK Civil Aviation Authority update on ATOL Reform consultation
  2. 2022 quarter one flight data
  3. Continued focus on change for GA Team

View all latest news