29. The person or organisation that’s responsible for a drone or model aircraft that requires an operator ID must register to get an operator ID
You must be over 18 to register as an operator. If you’re under 18, you’ll need to ask a parent or guardian to register for an operator ID.
Points 30 to 34 set out what you’re responsible for if you’re an operator.
30. Label all your drones or model aircraft with your operator ID
You must label your operator ID on every drone or model aircraft you’re responsible for.
You can use the same operator ID for all your drones and model aircraft.
Always label with your operator ID, not your flyer ID.
How to label your drone or model aircraft
Your operator ID must be:
- visible from the outside, or within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool
- clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm
- secure and safe from damage
- on the main body of the aircraft
31. Always make sure that anyone flying your drone or model aircraft has appropriate authorisation, such as a valid flyer ID
You can do this at the check someone’s registration status service (opens in a new tab) .
If your drone or model aircraft is below 250g, the person flying it does not need a flyer ID.
32. Set out what you expect from anyone who’ll fly your drone or model aircraft and what you’ll be responsible for yourself
If anyone else will fly a drone or model aircraft you’re responsible for, you must tell them:
- to fly safely and follow this Code when they fly
- to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for flying
- what you’ll be responsible for, such as keeping any built-in software up to date
- what you expect them to do, especially to do with flying and maintaining your aircraft
If several people will fly, such as in a business, club or school, consider writing this information down and making it available somewhere that everyone can easily access it.
33. Maintain your drone or model aircraft so that it’s safe to fly
This includes following the manufacturer’s instructions on maintenance and keeping any built-in software (firmware) up to date.
34. Renew your operator ID every year
It is a legal requirement to keep your operator ID registration details up to date.