We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.


  • Your aircraft must hold a registration (may be temporary) and an airworthiness certificate.
  • Your aircraft must be insured.

What is a foreign aircraft exemption/permission?

A foreign aircraft exemption is an exemption/permission for owners and operators of foreign registered aircraft which are not compliant with specific requirements. It permits them to fly in UK airspace.

An exemption/permission only relates to the aircraft operating in UK airspace. These exemptions/permissions do not exempt the pilot flying the aircraft from holding a pilot's licence issued in accordance with the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) Annex I.

More information on the acceptance of non-UK ICAO compliant pilots' licences can be found on Recognition of ICAO Third Country licences in UK airspace.

If the pilot does not hold a licence issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1, at this time, we are unable to authorise them to fly in UK airspace. It is the pilot’s responsibility to ensure they hold the correct licence before applying for an exemption/permission.

What do I need to apply for?

You will need to apply for an exemption/permission from us if:

  • you are the owner or operate a foreign registered aircraft with a temporary registration (and/or) 
  • you do not have a valid International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) compliant Certificate of Airworthiness (C of A)

Article 24 exemption

The aircraft has a non-ICAO compliant registration only.

Article 33 permission

The aircraft has ICAO compliant registration but not an ICAO compliant airworthiness certificate.

Article 24 & 33 exemption/permission

The aircraft has non-ICAO compliant registration and non-ICAO compliant airworthiness certificate.

The Air Navigation Order provides further information on Articles 24 and 33. 

Close What do I need to apply for?

How do I apply?

  • If you are applying for an Article 24 exemption and Article 33 permission or an Article 33 permission only, apply using the online form.
  • If you are applying for an Article 24 exemption only, please email aircraft.reg@caa.co.uk
  • Upload or forward the required documentation.
  • Pay the applicable fee. 
Close How do I apply?

How much does it cost?

  • For Article 33 and Article 24 & 33 exemptions/permissions - £84.
  • Article 24 Exemption only - currently no fee.
Close How much does it cost?

What do I need to send with my application?

The following information needs to be supplied with your application:

  • Aircraft Registration, Type and Serial Number
    • You must supply a copy of the Certificate of Registration or equivalent.
    • reason for flight.
    • start and end dates for the Exemption/Permission.
    • entry and exit locations if the flight involves landing in the UK.
    • details of the airworthiness certificate and associated Operating Limitations
      • you must supply a copy of these documents
  • A copy of the valid insurance for the aircraft detailing compliance with UK Regulation (EC) No 785/2004.

In addition, you may be required to supply:

If the airworthiness certificate is non expiring:

  • A copy of the latest maintenance statement for the aircraft.

For Flight Testing in the UK:

  • details of the flight crew
    • You need to include written confirmation from the aircraft State of Registry, that the named flight crew are acceptable for the test flight.
  • Written confirmation from the State of Registry that the Flight Test Schedule is acceptable for the test flight.
  • You may need to supply written confirmation from the TC/STC holder that the Flight Test Schedule is acceptable for test flight.
Close What do I need to send with my application?

How long will it take to process my application?

Our service standard for the issue of the permission/exemption is 5 working days as long as you provide everything we need.

If you need your exemption sooner, you can use our Same Day Service.

Close How long will it take to process my application?

How long is it valid for?

The exemption can be valid for up to 28 days in any 12-month period.

This may be a single block of 28 days or split into smaller periods.

If you need an exemption for more than 28 days submit an application including justification and we will review your case.

Close How long is it valid for?

What happens next?

Upon receipt of a correctly completed application and fee the application shall be reviewed and if satisfactory, the Exemption/Permission issued within 5 working days.

Close What happens next?