We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

EU exit

Please note that, in the event of UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of licences and certificates ceasing, some CAA website content and application forms may continue to carry the EASA logo or reference the EU or EASA rather than the UK CAA in the short term.

These will be updated in due course following the outcome of the transition period negotiations on the long-term aviation relationship between the UK and the EU. In the meantime, the guidance provided and the application forms accessed via the CAA website portal will continue to be valid


Commission Regulation (EU) 748/2012 Subpart P allows for the issue of a Permit to Fly to an Part 21 aircraft when the Certificate of Airworthiness (CAA Form 25) or Restricted C of A (CAA Form 24) is temporarily invalid or when an aircraft is unable to comply with the regulations set for the issue of a C of A but is still capable of safe flight under defined conditions.

Who can apply?

• Registered Aircraft Owners
• Maintenance Organisations
• Continuing Airworthiness Management Organisations (CAMOs)
• Individuals authorised by the Aircraft Owner

Note: For Permanent CAA Permit to Fly aircraft, the application for a Temporary CAA Permit to Fly must be made by the Registered Aircraft Owner.

How much does it cost?

Application type Fee
Where a CAMO, or Part-21 approved organisation, issues the permit to fly under the privileges of their approval and notifies the CAA accordingly, the CAMO, or Part-21 approved organisation. £29.00
Where the CAMO, or Part-21 approved organisation, holding permit to fly privileges, requests CAA approval of non-design related flight conditions.; £94.00
Where an application is made for the CAA to issue a Permit to Fly, enclosing UK CAA approved design-related Flight Conditions where applicable. £150.00
Where an application is made to the CAA for the approval of non-design related Flight Conditions and the issue of a permit to fly concurrently. £215.00
Where the aircraft owner or operator makes a direct application for an exemption to the CAA, where unforeseen urgent operational circumstances apply, as defined by Article 14.4 of EC Regulation 216/2008, and the CAA is required to approve design-related Flight Conditions. £1014.00

Please refer to ORS 5 3.4.2.

In the event of a discrepancy between the information here and the Scheme of Charges, the Scheme of Charges takes precedence.

Same day services

The same day service is on request, which should be made at the time of initial application. Documents are worked to a same day turnaround from receipt of customer request by 11:00 to completion of the processing of the application by 16:30 on the same working day.

This is subject to all information being submitted and all queries answered within this timeframe.

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

The Service Standard for the issue of a temporary permit to fly (including approval of non design related Flight Conditions) is 5 working days from receipt of a completed application and appropriate fee.

How long is it valid for?

  • You will be required to supply a validity period while completing the application.
  • Temporary permits are usually issued for less than a month, but you should allow enough time for the flight to be conducted, taking into account weather conditions etc.

What else do I need to know?

Before a flight is made with a CAA Permit to Fly in force, a Certificate of Release to Service (CRS) must be issued in accordance with Part M M.A.801 or Part 21 21A.163. The CRS must contain sufficient information for the organisation issuing the Permit to Fly to be able to verify that all required maintenance has been accomplished, that the aircraft conforms to the approved flight conditions and that it is in a condition for safe operation.

Urgent operational need

In exceptional circumstances of demonstrated operational need, the CAA will consider issuing an exemption from the requirement for CAA approved flight conditions.

Under these circumstances the following provisions apply:

  • An application for approval of the Flight Conditions has already been made.
  • CAA are unable to approve the Flight Conditions within 24 hours.
Close What else do I need to know?

What should I include with my application?

In all cases

  • A completed online application for the issue of a temporary Part 21 Permit to Fly and/or non design flight conditions.
    • Confirmation of the purpose of flight (in accordance with Part 21 21.A.701(a)
    • Confirmation of whether the aircraft has any;
  • Along with a description of the issue, and in the case of overdue items, how much the item is overdue.

    You will also need to send:

    • Details of the approved organisation or authorised individual who is supporting the application if they are not the applicant.
    • For those approved organisations or authorised individuals holding EASA approval outside the UK, a copy of the approval document shall be required.
    • Confirmation and details of the Certification type for the aircraft(e.g. TCDS, SAS, AAN)
    • Details of the CAA Approved Maintenance Programme.
    • Confirmation of who (either organisation or individual) will be issuing the aircraft the Certificate of Release to Service (for Part 21 Permanent Permit aircraft - details of the individual holding the valid CAA Permit Maintenance Release Authorisation shall be required).
    • Details of any maintenance or actions to be carried out to ensure safe flight.
    • Departure and Destination location, with space to list any intermediate stops.
    • Target dates for flight.

In addition:

For the issue of an Part 21 temporary Permit to Fly with CAA (or Part 21J) approved design related Flight Conditions:
  • Copy of EASA (or Part 21J) approved Flight Conditions (EASA Form 18b or 18a)
  • Copy of any documentation referred to in EASA Form 18b or 18a
  • Relevant fee
If the application requires the approval of non design related Flight Conditions:
  • Justification to demonstrate that the aircraft can perform the intended flight(s) safely under the defined conditions
If you cannot confirm that:
  • 'The flight conditions have been established and justified in accordance with 21A.708. and the aircraft has no features and characteristics making it unsafe for the intended operation under the identified conditions and restrictions.'
  • you must supply a statement from a suitably approved individual confirming the above, along with the individual's name, Company name (if an Approved Organisation), approval reference or Part 66 license number (if applicable), date and a signature.
Close What should I include with my application?

How do I apply?

If CAA approved design related flight conditions 18b is required, complete and submit the relevant application Approval of flight conditions for Permits to Fly.

Close How do I apply?

What happens next?

Once a completed application form and applicable fee are received, the application will be reviewed. The applicant may be requested to supply additional information if required.

The EASA temporary permit to fly (and approved non design related Flight conditions if appropriate) will be issued and forwarded to the applicant by email, with the first print of the documents deemed as the originals, once the CAA are satisfied that the aircraft is capable of safe flight under the defined conditions.

Close What happens next?

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. Shaping up to be a busy 2022 for UK CAA’s General Aviation Unit
  2. CAA launches consultation on environmental effects of first UK space launch from Cornwall
  3. Farnborough 2022: Sir Stephen Hillier - Where next for aviation and aerospace

View all latest news