• EU exit

    Please note that, in the event of UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of licences and certificates ceasing, some CAA website content and application forms may continue to carry the EASA logo or reference the EU or EASA rather than the UK CAA in the short term.  These will be updated in due course following the outcome of the transition period negotiations on the long-term aviation relationship between the UK and the EU.  In the meantime, the guidance provided and the application forms accessed via the CAA website portal will continue to be valid.

  • The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) states that "Noise certification shall be granted or validated by the State of Registry of an aircraft on the basis of satisfactory evidence that the aircraft complies with the requirements which are at least equal to the applicable Standards specified in this Annex".

    The CAA discharges its responsibilities regarding ICAO requirements for Part 21 through European Regulation (EC) No. 216/2008 Article 6 and for Non-EASA Aircraft through the Aeroplane Noise Regulations 1999, the Aeroplane Noise (Amendment) Regulations 1999 and the Air Navigation (Environmental Standards for Non-EASA Aircraft) Order 2008.

    Not every aircraft on the UK Register is obliged to have a Noise Certificate. There is no legislation requiring noise certificates for older aircraft and, with the exception of microlights, Permit to Fly aircraft.

    This application is not required when you are also applying for a Certificate of Airworthiness.


    • The aircraft must be fully registered in the UK prior to the issue of any Noise Certificate.
    • For MTOW related changes for aircraft operating under an AOC at 15,000kg or above, please refer to the VMTOW Scheme.
    • This application is not required when you are also applying for a Certificate of Airworthiness.

    How much does it cost?

    Part 21

    (Individual certificate under Part-21 made independently of the CAA)

    Non-Part 21

    (Excluding Microlights)

    £112.00 No fee The charge of £486.00 will only be made for carrying out noise tests on airframe / engine / propeller combinations that do not have defined noise levels and will be applied to all applications where a noise test is necessary.

    Full details of all prices are available in the Scheme of Charges.

    How long will it take for my application to be processed?

    The Noise Certificate will be issued within 20 working days, unless a noise test is required.

  • Validity period

    Noise certificates issued by the UK CAA are non-expiring.

  • EASA and Non-EASA (excluding Microlights)

    • Details of the Aircraft
    • Details of the Engine
    • Details of the Propeller
    • Certification Basis documentation (i.e. copy of the AAN, STC and other documentation that support modifications affecting noise level)


    • Details of the Aircraft
    • Details of the Engine
    • Details of the Propeller

    (Note - Propeller pitch datum is not required for aircraft with a fixed pitch propeller.  Please ensure that you enter a 'zero' measurement and 'not applicable' as your selection in the applicable fields.)

    Copies of documents  

    • There is a charge of £46.00 should you require a copy or replacement of a noise certificate. 
    • These cannot be applied for using this form. 

    Please contact us at apply@caa.co.uk for a replacement, quoting the Aircraft Registration and the existing Noise Certificate number.

    1. You will receive an automated email receipt following submission of the online application form
    2. The application will be passed to a Surveyor for review
    3. Further information to substantiate the application may be required
      (this may include the request of further documentation or to arrange a Noise Test - the Surveyor will usually be the contact for this)
    4. A Noise Certificate will be issued once the Surveyor is satisfied that all necessary paperwork is in order and that noise levels are acceptable
      (for Microlights, an electronic copy of the Noise Certificate will be sent to the Light Aircraft Association or British Microlight Aircraft Association as appropriate)