'We want to inspire and engage with young people to explore careers in STEM, aviation and aerospace to support and encourage their future career choices. Aviation and aerospace needs to be ready for the future and we need different talent, ideas and values to make that happen. We need talented people like you. We are committed to supporting the ambitions and interests of everyone to create opportunities which are inclusive and engaging for all.' Richard Moriarty, CEO, Civil Aviation Authority
What is STEM and why does it matter?
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) is the umbrella term used to cover work promoting those subjects in education and to young people. Our work in the area is primarily about promoting the broad range of exciting jobs and careers that are available in aviation along with the skills and knowledge that someone looking to enter into the sector could require.
It has been recognised by the aviation community that there will be an anticipated shortage of skilled aviation professionals in the near future.
By promoting awareness of the aviation and aerospace sector, the variety of career pathways you can take and the subjects that help you get there we aim to inspire young aviators into this industry.
- Inspiring young people to explore careers in STEM aviation and aerospace, to support and encourage their future career choices
- Positively support efforts to increase diversity with a focus on addressing root causes which prevent inclusivity
- Understand ambitions and interests of currently underrepresented groups to create opportunities which are inclusive and engaging for all
- Challenge misconceptions and stereotypes about careers in STEM and aviation
- Where possible, influence industry to keep encouraging and supporting STEM
Please visit the CAA STEM Microsite for teacher resources and further information on the work we do.
CAA STEM Lead