We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

The UK Civil Aviation Authority is reminding drone users to register with the regulator as a drone operator before they fly and has launched an extensive social media campaign aimed at people who aren’t sure of the rules and requirements.  

The campaign features several short videos that showcase the range of scenery and types of locations that are popular with drone users across the UK. The videos feature people acting as drone users who have flown without the required IDs. 

Registration is required by law to fly most drones or model aircraft outdoors in the UK. As well as registering, anyone planning to fly a drone that weighs 250g or more (although we recommend for all users), must gain a Flyer ID by passing a theory test that covers how to fly safely. The requirement also applies to children under 13 years old. 

There are currently over three-hundred thousand drone users in the UK who are registered and hold active Flyer IDs. 

Jonathan Nicholson, Civil Aviation Authority Assistant Director of Communications said: 

These videos were filmed throughout the UK and show some of the amazing locations available to drone users.  

We want everyone to enjoy drones, but it is essential that you’ve registered and passed the online test before you fly.

Registering is a quick and easy process that also provides information on how to fly safely.  Flying without the required IDs is illegal.

Flyer IDs

If you’re going to be flying the drone or model aircraft, you will need to register for a flyer ID. 

There is no charge, and the flyer ID is valid for 5 years. 

Operator IDs 

If you own a drone or model aircraft and are over 18 then you’ll need to register for an operator ID.  

If you’re younger than 18 and own a drone or model aircraft, you must ask your parent or guardian to register for an operator ID. 

Registering for an operator ID, which is valid for 1 year, costs £10.33. 

Where to register 

You can complete the registration process at register-drones.caa.co.uk 

Notes to Editors

  • The UK Civil Aviation Authority is the UK’s aviation regulator. We work so that the aviation industry meets the highest safety standards and consumers have choice, value for money, are protected and treated fairly when they fly.
  • You can find the video here