We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings below, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

The National Private Pilot Licence (NPPL) is available for microlights and other non-EASA aircraft:

  • vintage aircraft
  • permit-to-fly aircraft
  • kit-built aircraft

The NPPL can only be used on UK-registered aircraft inside UK airspace, unless you have an agreement with the aviation authorities in another country which will allow you to fly in that country's airspace.

You can add class ratings to the NPPL to allow you to fly microlights, self-launching motorgliders (SLMGs) and simple single-engine aeroplanes (SSEAs).

Your NPPL does not require a language proficiency test, however to operate radio telephony equipment you must hold a Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence.

Full details of requirements for the NPPL are available in the CAA publication CAP 804, Part I, Section 5.

From 8 April 2018 you will only be able to fly UK Annex II non EASA aircraft using your NPPL, subject to holding the minimum level of medical required and a valid rating.

To enable you to fly EASA certified aircraft you will need to convert to a minimum of Part FCL LAPL (A). Additionally you will need to meet the medical and recency requirements for the LAPL(A).

To take advantage of our conversion terms to convert to a LAPL(A) your NPPL SSEA or SLMG must have been issued by the UK CAA on or before 7 April 2018.

It is not possible to convert a microlight as there is no EASA equivalent.

Differences training - microlights

Details of when differences training may be required when a pilot wants to fly a microlight aeroplane are available on our Microlights page.

Provide page feedback

Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. 2022 quarter one flight data
  2. Continued focus on change for GA Team
  3. Virtual aviation work experience partnership with Springpod

View all latest news